What Types of Doctors Treat a Stye?
Many patients who develop a stye are taken care of by their family physician, including pediatricians. Your family physician can decide whether or not you need to see a specialist. If you wish to see a medical doctor who specializes in the treatment of only eye problems, you should contact an ophthalmologist.
What Questions Should Someone Ask the Doctor About a Sty?
- Is the eyelid infected?
- Is the cornea involved?
- Is surgery required?
- How can I prevent a recurrence?
- What is the chance that the stye may be a type of skin cancer?
- Is the tear drainage system involved?
How Do Health-Care Professionals Diagnose a Stye?
- An ophthalmologist will ask questions about whether one has had any injury or previous eye problems or surgeries. Frequently, a history of similar symptoms is useful, so be sure to tell an ophthalmologist if you have previously experienced them. One's eyelid and facial hygienic habits, along with any cosmetic usage, are also useful information for an ophthalmologist. Your doctor may ask whether styes run in the family.
- The eyes and eyelids will be examined, including the underside of the eyelid. An ophthalmologist may use a slit lamp (a microscope-like device with a powerful light) to examine the eye.
- X-rays and blood work are not usually useful, unless an ophthalmologist is concerned that an infection may have spread from the eyelid to the eye socket. In this case, a CT scan of the eye socket may be required.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/10/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Sty
Contact lenses are miraculous pieces of plastic that allow you to see without glasses. In most cases, contact lenses are used as a substitute for glasses, allow...learn more >>
Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as learn more >>
Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis)
Blepharitis is swelling and/or irritation of the eyelid, resulting from a bacterial infection, inflammation, or allergies. It is the most common eye disease.learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye):