Sty Self-Care at Home
Most styes go away on their own in five to seven days.
- Apply warm compresses four to six times a day for about 15
minutes at a time to help the drainage. Keep your eyes closed.
- Gently scrub the eyelid with tap water or with a mild,
nonirritating soap, or shampoo (such as baby shampoo). This may help with
drainage. Close your eyes as you scrub so you do not injure your eyes.
- Do not squeeze or puncture the sty. A more serious
infection may occur as a result.
- Discontinue the use of eye makeup as well as eye
lotions and creams because they may be infected.
- Discontinue wearing your contact lenses
because the sty may cause an infection to spread to your cornea with the
continued use of your contact lenses.
Must Read Articles Related to Sty
Contact lenses are miraculous pieces of plastic that allow you to see without glasses. In most cases, contact lenses are used as a substitute for glasses, allow...learn more >>
Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis)
Blepharitis is swelling and/or irritation of the eyelid, resulting from a bacterial infection, inflammation, or allergies. It is the most common eye disease.learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye):