Viewer Comments: Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye):

Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a sty (stye).

Comment from: Stye hater, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have gotten several sties in the last couple of years I even name them. I got one surgically removed which was bad because my eye was never the same. I got an ulcer in my cornea and I also got herpes in that same cornea, very painful! I always go for the drops and ointment with antibiotic, do the hot compresses and I wash my eyes with Head and Shoulders (please close your eyes). All this helps, although bad news is sometimes they take 3 months to disappear.

Comment from: Randy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I routinely had sties through high school and they drove me crazy. It would start with the irritation, the swelling and so on. I went to an old family doctor for something else and as I was there he noticed the stye and said we can do something about that. He told me I have a riboflavin, B2 deficiency. I picked up some at the drug store and within a day or so, it was gone. I did not take a pill every day, but when I would start getting the symptoms, I would take a pill for a few days and no stye. I am now 65 and a couple days ago I woke up with the irritation on my right lower eye lid and sure enough, I had the small pimple thing starting. I immediately found my B2 pills and took one and after a couple days another one. As in the past, the stye did not develop and went away. It worked for me 50 years ago and this still works now.

Comment from: smtoff, 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 11

I have had a sty cut by a specialist and then prescribed oral antibiotics. I stopped getting the antibiotics and then found it would go if I washed my face with a good soap face wash. Normal soap is irritating the problem. Keep face clean by washing as often as possible. I am considering mouth gargling as this sty problem occurs when you have sinus problems or cold.

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 17

My nana told me this remedy for stye, it might sound weird but it works. Before going to bed heat up a bread bun for about 20 seconds (until hot but not burning hot) in the microwave then tape it over your eye and go to sleep. In the morning take it off and the stye will be gone.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Male Published: May 06

As a child, every year I had 8-10 sties, those painful infections of the eyelid. One day in the 7th grade my English teacher told me that he used to have multiple sties at a time and had stopped the infections by eating cabbage. I began eating a daily chunk of cabbage and within 6 weeks the sties stopped, and I have never had another. 25 years later my 8-year old son said that his best friend had frequent sties. I recommended cabbage, he followed my advice, and he has not had another sty. Today, at 63 I continue to eat several servings of cole slaw and cooked cabbage every week.

Comment from: basha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My sty is almost 9 days! And still it doesn't fade away by those treatments and home remedies. I've been suffering and I am now behind in my academic subjects because of this illness.

Comment from: Diddy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I'm 28 years old, and I got my first stye last week. My lower left eyelid was swollen. I thought I got bit by a bug so I took a Benadryl, and went to work. It basically disappeared a couple days later. It reappeared with a vengeance the following day. I did the ice pack and hot pack on Monday evening. The bottom of my lid was swollen, sore, eye slightly discolored, and I was highly annoyed because a growth started on the inside of my bottom lid. The next day the lid swelled even bigger. I started doxycycline 100. The eyelid feels better already, but I have a headache that's awfully annoying. Hopefully, in the next few days, I can be Stye free. Next time, I see this I am going to try the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I heard it works, and I read it on this forum.

Comment from: dorisjp42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I recently went to the eye doctor for a stye that has persisted since July. I think it is making me physically ill. The eye doctor said to use the compresses because this forces the white blood cells to the infected area. You must be persistent. He also prescribed a small dose of doxycycline. As painful and frustrating as they are, I have lived with them my whole life, and I'm 44 now. Ask your doctor about the right treatment. If you feel you are not getting the treatment you need, go elsewhere.

Comment from: auntbea67, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Whenever I'm stressed out, here comes a stye. I finally found out why I've been sick for 15 years: I have Fibromyalgia, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the styes. I've had them pop up every so often and had to get one lanced. I think the one I have now will have to be lanced, too, as I've had it for a month now and it won't go away. It is embarrassing; someone always feels the need to point it out, as if I didn't know it was there. I'd love to find a way to not get one, but until then, I've resolved to the idea that they are here to pop up whenever they choose.

Must Read Articles Related to Sty

Contact Lenses
Contact Lenses Contact lenses are miraculous pieces of plastic that allow you to see without glasses. In most cases, contact lenses are used as a substitute for glasses, allow...learn more >>
Eye Pain
Eye Pain Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye):

Sty - Treatment

What was the treatment for your sty?

Sty - Remedies

Have you tried a sty self-care remedy that worked?