Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail) (cont.)
Subungual Hematoma Symptoms
- Blood underneath the nail of either a finger or toe is a subungual hematoma.
- You will have a discoloration of red, maroon, or other dark color beneath the nail after an injury.
- The most common symptom is intense pain.
- Pressure generated between the nail and the nail bed, where the blood collects, causes this pain.
- The pain may also be caused by other injuries such as a fracture (break) to the underlying bone, a cut in the nail bed, or bruising to the finger or toe itself.
Must Read Articles Related to Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail)
Anthrax is described in the early literature of the Greeks, Romans, and Hindus. The fifth plague, described in the book of Genesis, may be among the earliest de...learn more >>
Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
The fingernail is an important part of fingertip function. It provides support for the finger pad and improves sensation. The toenail functions in a similar man...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail):