Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail) (cont.)
Subungual Hematoma Treatment
Self-Care at Home
- Ice, elevation (keeping your arm or leg above the level of your heart), and pain medications are recommended for minor hematomas. Wrap ice in a towel and do not apply ice directly to skin. A bag of frozen vegetables (corn or peas) wrapped in a towel works well.
- If the hematoma involves more than 50% of the area of the nail, then medical attention is needed.
- If the nail was removed by the injury and the nail bed wasn't cut, the following home treatment is recommended until the nail bed begins to be less sensitive, usually in seven to 10 days.
- Twice daily soaks with antibacterial soap and water for 10-15 minutes
- After soaks, application of a topical antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) and a dry sterile bandage (Band-Aid)
Must Read Articles Related to Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail)
Anthrax is described in the early literature of the Greeks, Romans, and Hindus. The fifth plague, described in the book of Genesis, may be among the earliest de...learn more >>
Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
The fingernail is an important part of fingertip function. It provides support for the finger pad and improves sensation. The toenail functions in a similar man...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail):