Viewer Comments: Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail):

Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail) - Causes

What caused your bleeding under the nail (subungual hematoma)?

Comment from: msenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with subungual hematoma 2 days ago on my right big toe, even though I know I did not slam, hit, or pinch it in any way. Everyone says I must have and that I must not remember. It's been on my foot for 5 months and I was told that this could take up to a year to disappear.

Comment from: InspireWear, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 06

I dropped a heavy duty iron baking tip on my toe.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

A large can rolled out of the pantry and feel onto my big toe. At the time, it hurt a lot, but didn't feel *that* bad. By later in the day, the pain was excruciating. I saw my GP the next morning and she attempted to drain the nail but did not make a large enough hole and not much drained. The pain is just as bad now as it was the first night (today is only day 2). The throbbing is excruciating. I wish I had just gone to the ER yesterday. I'm awaiting the results of the X-ray and will hear from my doctor tomorrow. Ice helps but only temporarily.

Cat bite, punctured nail.

Comment from: AngryAtMyself, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I carelessly closed the bathroom door at home behind me on my finger on my way out. I was in huge pain after an hour that faded after 24 hours. Should have iced it instantly instead of waiting a couple of hours but didn't realize how severe it could be. My ego still needs icing.

Comment from: Flipsmagee, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

Attempting a standing layout backflip and landing on my finger because I didn't flip at my peak.

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

A sliding glass door dropped on my large toe. It is still swollen after 9 days, the nail and nail bed are a purplish color.

My finger was struck very hard with a rubber mallet. To make things worse, my finger was sitting on a stone surface.

Comment from: dobermom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I slammed my finger in a door. It hurts SO bad!

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I caught my finger in my car door as it was being shut. I noticed the hematoma forming under the nail immediately. I used ice on the nail on and off for the first 24 hours. The night of the injury my finger swelled and throbbed and I could not sleep due to the terrific pain. (I did not think a trip to the ER was necessary as I have known family members to have this injury and after the first night the pain was less.) I should have sought medical help I just thought that there was nothing that could be done for my finger. I should have looked this up on the internet that night! Now I am still walking around with a black nail that is obviously bulging and going to eventually fall off. And, it will take ages to grow a new one. I am disappointed with myself that I feared that my doctor would think I was a "big baby" calling to see him for this nail injury. Well, I was wrong and I would recommend anyone who has this injury to seek medical help as it is very painful the first couple days after the injury and it will ease your mind to get medical guidance.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

A block of ice accumulates in the winter outside the entrance to the garage of the condo because water drips from the eaves. My garage door opener wouldn't work, so I had to turn off the key and open the garage door from the inside. I was hurrying back to my car, and fell on the ice. My thumb took the brunt of the fall as I tried to stop myself. After a week, my bruise is healing.

Comment from: Quinn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Two of my fingertips got caught in-between two panels of my garage door as it was coming down. The bulk of the weight of the door was on the finger tips now the nails are purplish and the fingertips are nearly black and the skin is tight and swollen.

Must Read Articles Related to Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail)

Anthrax
Anthrax Anthrax is described in the early literature of the Greeks, Romans, and Hindus. The fifth plague, described in the book of Genesis, may be among the earliest de...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
Nail Injuries
Nail Injuries The fingernail is an important part of fingertip function. It provides support for the finger pad and improves sensation. The toenail functions in a similar man...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Subungual Hematoma (Bleeding Under Nail):

Subungual Hematoma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your subungual hematoma?