Suicidal Thoughts (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
A call to the health-care professional or to 911 is warranted when someone admits to suicidal ideation. That is, if someone actively wishes his or her own death, then evaluation by a medical professional is absolutely essential.
Any form of suicidal ideation -- actively wishing one's own death -- should prompt immediate evaluation by a medical professional. Therefore, going to the closest emergency room or calling a suicide hotline is what to do if you are having suicidal thoughts.
By the time someone admits to having a thought or plan to end one's life, the person may have already initiated the plan.
- It is not uncommon for a person with suicidal ideation to be treated in the emergency department for having taken an overdose
without telling anyone.
- Guessing about a person's true intentions rather than having the sufferer professionally evaluated when suicidal ideation is a concern is dangerous and wrong.
no longer tend to speak of a "suicidal gesture."
- Suicidal gestures were thought to occur when a person harms himself or herself in such a way as to bring sympathy but not death.
- Even if you believe a person is doing it just for attention, you must not rely on this feeling.
Since many people make gestures that are unintentionally lethal, any suicidal
behavior should be thought of with the utmost seriousness.
- For instance, someone may take an overdose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in order to gain sympathy, not understanding that an overdose of Tylenol can be fatal.
- It is not your job as a concerned friend or family member to evaluate the intent of the person with suicidal ideation. Your job is to get the person to the hospital as soon as possible.
Must Read Articles Related to Suicidal Thoughts
End-of-Life Decision Making
End-of-life decision making typically involves creating two documents: an advance directive and a durable power of attorney for medical care.learn more >>
Grief and Bereavement
Grief is our personal experience of loss. Mourning is a public expression of our grief. Bereavement is the period after a loss during which mourning occurs (usu...learn more >>