Suicide Threats: What to Do
If the suicide threat seems real, with a specific plan and the means at hand, follow these steps:
- Call , or the police if is not available.
- Consider your own safety. If you are in a safe environment and the person will not harm you:
- Stay with the person, or ask someone you trust to stay with the person, until help arrives.
- Don't argue with the person or make statements like "It's not as bad as you think," and don't challenge the person by saying "You're not the type to commit suicide." Arguing with the person may only increase his or her feelings of being out of control of his or her life.
- Talk about the situation as openly as possible. Tell the person that you don't want him or her to die or to harm another person. Show understanding and compassion.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||David Messenger, MD|
|Last Revised||November 29, 2010|