Viewer Comments: Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your supraventricular tachycardia?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had an adenosine injection, which brought heart rate down from 220 to 50 in an instant, and also stopped pain instantly. Morphine could not help me at all for pain.

Comment from: Billey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was given Radio Frequency Ablation.

Comment from: tsuki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

After experiencing a racing heart and shallow breathing I went to the ER for the 2nd time. Fortunately, I after testing I was referred to a Cardiologist who, after his own testing, diagnosed me with supraventriculartachycardia. I had a six-hour ablation done and now the racing heart has stopped.

Comment from: AVNRT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had SVT for over 10 years. In April I will be having my 2nd ablation. I am currently on a mild beta blocker until the surgery (which doesn't seem to be working). My condition is a little more difficult, and in my last ablation they found out my pulse would go 220 and flow backwards. Soon I will be on the table to hopefully get it taken care of.

Comment from: daina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My SVT started when I was about 15 I didn't take much notice of it then as it soon stopped however when I was pregnant with my second child it started again with vengeance I was going to the ER at least once every 2 weeks with heart rates of 250+, scary stuff but after an injection of something. My heart rate settled over the next 3 years I took a lot of medication to no avail then I had an ablation done and it worked thankfully. Now 15years later when I am tired or feeling anxious it sometimes returns but I am able to stop this myself. The biggest scare for me was the fact that my daughter has a heart murmur and no-one can tell me if it's related to my SVT while I was pregnant!

Comment from: Erin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I developed SVT at the age of 11. My episodes would start during inactivity such as watching a movie. The doctor put me on a restricted diet and on medication. The episodes seemed to become more frequent, and once I had five episodes in one month. Finally they did the ablation, for which I was in surgery for more than five hours. The doctor had thought it would only take two hours. So now I'm 29 and have never needed medication since.

Comment from: Villager, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 03

All of a sudden at 75, I developed what was thought to be SVT, with all of the SVT symptoms at multiple times during a day. After about 2 months and numerous tests there were no real conclusions and I wasn't willing to take medications just to see if they would help. However I learned that cardiovascular diseases improve and can regress entirely. I am on a strict vegetable-based, very low fat, (where calories from fat constitute no more than 10% of the total consumed calories). I do not consume oils either and nothing that comes from anything with a face. This means no meat, no chicken, no fish. After about two weeks the SVT symptoms started to diminish and at the end of three weeks there were no more episodes, and they haven't come back after three months on the diet, which I will stay with forever. Between when I started and now (three months later, my weight, cholesterol, blood glucose, and blood pressure have gone down significantly. I credit all of this to what I learned from the book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. Anybody with SVT who wants it to go away should certainly give this a try.

Comment from: Marlo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had SVTs since a teenager. I was born with an atrial septal aneurysm without a shunt and also have hypertension. I have taken betablockers since the age of 19 and am now 39 - they are like my best friend. For the past few years I have also been taking anti arrythmias. I get minimal side effects from my meds and they really help. In the past couple of years my heart has not paced well on its own giving me both high and low heart rates. I recently had a pacemaker inserted and it's the best treatment I have had - I have never been so well in my adult life. My experience is that cardiologists who are electrophysiologists are best qualified to treat patients with SVTs.

Comment from: andrea, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Well, I found out I had supraventicular tachycardia about two years ago. I'm 17 now. The doctor told me that it should go away on its own in a few years; he said by the time I'm 19 or 20. I don't do much moving around how because if I do any activity, my heart goes crazy. I quit smoking and all that stuff, and I can breathe better, but that's about it. The simplest things set my heart off. It's not as bad as it was because I have kind of learned to deal with it. I am now pregnancy and afraid that I'm going to have a heart attack or something.

Must Read Articles Related to Supraventricular Tachycardia

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your supraventricular tachycardia?