Viewer Comments: Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your supraventricular tachycardia?

Comment from: Marlo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had SVTs since a teenager. I was born with an atrial septal aneurysm without a shunt and also have hypertension. I have taken betablockers since the age of 19 and am now 39 - they are like my best friend. For the past few years I have also been taking anti arrythmias. I get minimal side effects from my meds and they really help. In the past couple of years my heart has not paced well on its own giving me both high and low heart rates. I recently had a pacemaker inserted and it's the best treatment I have had - I have never been so well in my adult life. My experience is that cardiologists who are electrophysiologists are best qualified to treat patients with SVTs.

Comment from: andrea, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Well, I found out I had supraventicular tachycardia about two years ago. I'm 17 now. The doctor told me that it should go away on its own in a few years; he said by the time I'm 19 or 20. I don't do much moving around how because if I do any activity, my heart goes crazy. I quit smoking and all that stuff, and I can breathe better, but that's about it. The simplest things set my heart off. It's not as bad as it was because I have kind of learned to deal with it. I am now pregnancy and afraid that I'm going to have a heart attack or something.

Comment from: Wooly, 75 or over Male Published: October 04

Thanks very much for this very helpful information. In 2006 I had what I thought was indigestion which seemed to respond to magnesia. It lasted on and off for 4 days but was continuous after swimming several lengths. After a bad night my wife called Emergency. It was a heart attack and two stents (angioplasty) were fitted. In July 2009 I thought I was having another attack and went to Emergency. This time it was tachycardia but I spent 4 days in hospital to check stents were OK etc. I have had 2 further attacks but successfully practiced vagal massage. I will give up strong coffee!

Comment from: norah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My supraventricular tachycardia was treated with I.V. Adenosine. I have 2 - 3 episodes annually. Last one was this weekend. Normally I'm automatically given O2, this time I wasn't. Adenosine is a horrible drug, just for several seconds I feel terribly distressed, it's hard to explain!

Comment from: middle-aged-ablated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My SVT first became evident 30 years ago, age 16. I did not bring it to my Mom's attention as it would self-resolve rather quickly. In my 20's during the first physical checkup in years I was found to have a murmur (turned out to be another issue, a bicuspid Aortic valve) I did decide the "fast heart at time" was worthy of sharing. In getting a 12 lead ekg things looked fine. I don't think Holter monitors yet existed so I was told to pop in Emerg sometime when the fast rate was occurring. Eventually a tracing was done, but no treatment as I could control it via Valsalva maneuver. Now in my mid-forties I have found the SVT's occurring more frequently and could no longer convert on my own. After a few episodes of running off to the ER & getting Adenosine I asked my cardiologist (who I was having regular check-ups for the valve issue) what could be done. I was then put on a calcium channel blocker and consulted to a cardiologist that does electrophysiology studies. The med I was on in the meantime did most certainly cut down the episodes frequency & duration but made me feel subdued, and less energetic. Just yesterday I got the electrophysiology studies & cryoablation. I was out of the hospital by evening & feel good today. I do hope I am done with SVT's for good as they were getting rather interruptive to my life.

I developed PSVT at age 40. I have 2 to 3 episodes a year with my heart rate at 200-220. If I forcefully cough several times as it begins, it usually stops. But if not, I lie down and I place a small plastic bag filled with ice on the side of my neck. This stops mine in 15 to 20 minutes.

Comment from: savvy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I began having rapid heartbeats after having 2 ablations one lasting 5 hours the other 7 hours. Then the rapid heartbeat began which I didn't feel but felt very tired. I was put in the hospital for a few days and put on Sotalol 80 mg. 2x daily and have felt fine since then no problems at all.

Related Reading: Sotalol

Must Read Articles Related to Supraventricular Tachycardia

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your supraventricular tachycardia?