Viewer Comments: Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your supraventricular tachycardia?

Comment from: Pattypunk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I didn't know anything about supraventricular tachycardia before three days ago. I thought it was because of stress. It is one of the signs. I am shocked that I have this condition. One thing they don't mention is that at 50 I am not menopausal, so that is when I feel the flutters the most. I hope with weight loss and exercise I can get better.

Comment from: Chiquita girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am working in financial industry; sedentary, stressful job. I am a nonsmoker, nondrinker, and no exercise; 45 lb. overweight. Five months before supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) incident, I suffered severe back injury. At time of SVT, took opioids, muscle relaxers, Xanax, and sleeping pill. I have no history of heart issues.

Comment from: kidsister, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I take Diltiazem 24HR ER 120mg. and 5-Hydroxyltryptophan 100 mg daily.

Comment from: Rockstar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I woke up with a rapid heart rate and felt really dizzy. Because it was only my second day at my new job, I went in. One of my fellow employees mentioned how pale I was and suggested I go to the break room and take my blood pressure. It was 90/60 and my heart rate was 146. I went to ER and they ran every test that they could and found nothing wrong with my heart. They diagnosed me with paroxysmal atrial tachycardia/SVT.

Comment from: Katie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago after I had a heart rate of 220 for almost 5 hours. I did not have surgery as we had no insurance at the time. I have procedures to slow it on my own that usually work and also take Toprol twice daily. I can usually slow it by deep, deep breaths, putting my head down between my knees, sucking on an ice cube, putting ice on the large vein at side of neck. I have not had a serious enough episode to land me back in the hospital.

Comment from: Jacob Hamilton, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

My SVT Was treated with a cardiac ablation.

Comment from: Sandi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed at 74. I had a study done in 2012 and in January, I had a successful ablation. Now they tell me I have a super heart! Thank you doctors and modern medicine!

Comment from: MMB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have experienced two episodes in the last 20 years. First one was terminated by "bearing down" (vagal maneuver). The second episode occurred many years later on my first post-op day following surgery for a fractured femur. I was blowing into an incentive spirometer to prevent post-operative pneumonia and could not terminate the rapid heartbeat with vagal maneuvers.

Comment from: zimangel3, 45-54 Female Published: August 29

I felt heart palpitations for about three days. I went to the ER. The adenosine cardioversion was scary but worked immediately.

Comment from: marshia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia a few months back, after several trips to the ER and a follow-up at a cardiologist with a heart rate of 180-190 bpm. I was referred to a heart center for an ablation. Since I have not experienced anything abnormal. I feel great.

Comment from: Palmettoray, 75 or over Male Published: December 27

I am 92 years old and have had supraventricular tachycardia for 14 years, with my pulse rate as high as 140 and the duration for several hours. I discovered a means to return the pulse to normal by sipping any very hot liquid. You must take several sips until you feel the burn reach your stomach, and, instantly, the pulse kicks back to normal. It has been 6 years since I fell upon this remedy and it has never failed, not once. Try it. You will be ecstatic with the result.

Must Read Articles Related to Supraventricular Tachycardia

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or learn more >>

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter

Atrial flutter is a type of arrhyth...learn more >>

Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease

Coronary heart disease is caused by plaque buildup in the artery that provides blood and oxygen to the heart muscle. The plaque can block enough blood goin...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your supraventricular tachycardia (SVT, PSVT)?