Viewer Comments: Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your supraventricular tachycardia?

Comment from: MMB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have experienced two episodes in the last 20 years. First one was terminated by "bearing down" (vagal maneuver). The second episode occurred many years later on my first post-op day following surgery for a fractured femur. I was blowing into an incentive spirometer to prevent post-operative pneumonia and could not terminate the rapid heartbeat with vagal maneuvers.

Comment from: zimangel3, 45-54 Female Published: August 29

I felt heart palpitations for about three days. I went to the ER. The adenosine cardioversion was scary but worked immediately.

Comment from: marshia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia a few months back, after several trips to the ER and a follow-up at a cardiologist with a heart rate of 180-190 bpm. I was referred to a heart center for an ablation. Since I have not experienced anything abnormal. I feel great.

Comment from: Palmettoray, 75 or over Male Published: December 27

I am 92 years old and have had supraventricular tachycardia for 14 years, with my pulse rate as high as 140 and the duration for several hours. I discovered a means to return the pulse to normal by sipping any very hot liquid. You must take several sips until you feel the burn reach your stomach, and, instantly, the pulse kicks back to normal. It has been 6 years since I fell upon this remedy and it has never failed, not once. Try it. You will be ecstatic with the result.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had an adenosine injection, which brought heart rate down from 220 to 50 in an instant, and also stopped pain instantly. Morphine could not help me at all for pain.

Comment from: Billey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was given Radio Frequency Ablation.

Comment from: tsuki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

After experiencing a racing heart and shallow breathing I went to the ER for the 2nd time. Fortunately, I after testing I was referred to a Cardiologist who, after his own testing, diagnosed me with supraventriculartachycardia. I had a six-hour ablation done and now the racing heart has stopped.

Comment from: AVNRT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had SVT for over 10 years. In April I will be having my 2nd ablation. I am currently on a mild beta blocker until the surgery (which doesn't seem to be working). My condition is a little more difficult, and in my last ablation they found out my pulse would go 220 and flow backwards. Soon I will be on the table to hopefully get it taken care of.

Comment from: daina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My SVT started when I was about 15 I didn't take much notice of it then as it soon stopped however when I was pregnant with my second child it started again with vengeance I was going to the ER at least once every 2 weeks with heart rates of 250+, scary stuff but after an injection of something. My heart rate settled over the next 3 years I took a lot of medication to no avail then I had an ablation done and it worked thankfully. Now 15years later when I am tired or feeling anxious it sometimes returns but I am able to stop this myself. The biggest scare for me was the fact that my daughter has a heart murmur and no-one can tell me if it's related to my SVT while I was pregnant!

Comment from: Erin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I developed SVT at the age of 11. My episodes would start during inactivity such as watching a movie. The doctor put me on a restricted diet and on medication. The episodes seemed to become more frequent, and once I had five episodes in one month. Finally they did the ablation, for which I was in surgery for more than five hours. The doctor had thought it would only take two hours. So now I'm 29 and have never needed medication since.

Must Read Articles Related to Supraventricular Tachycardia

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT):

Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your supraventricular tachycardia?