Swallowed Object (cont.)
Swallowed Object Symptoms
- Most swallowed objects cause no symptoms at all.
- Some objects cause immediate
- Depending on the texture of the item, such as a toy, there may be some local pain or bleeding in the back of the throat.
- If something gets stuck, several symptoms may occur:
- Painful swallowing
- Pain in the chest or throat
- Unrecognized items ingested and stuck may lead to these symptoms:
Thomas Rebbecchi, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Swallowed Object
Choking is a blockage of the upper airway by food or other objects, preventing a person from breathing effectively. Choking can cause a simple coughing fit or c...learn more >>
Diagnostic x-rays are safe. But who hasn't wondered about them when undergoing a chest x-ray, mammogram, routine dental x-rays, or an x-ray for a broken bone?
...learn more >>