Swallowed Object (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
When any nonfood item is swallowed, call a doctor. A description of the item should be given.
- If no symptoms are present and the doctor is comfortable with the situation of the patient, a routine visit to the office may suffice.
- If the person has any symptoms, or the object swallowed is concerning to the physician, the doctor will probably refer the patient to the emergency department.
If any symptoms continue and won't go away after swallowing an object or large piece of food, go to the local emergency department. If the patient has a similar object to the one swallowed, bring it along to help the doctor determine what type of object may be causing the blockage.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/17/2014
Thomas Rebbecchi, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Swallowed Object
Choking is a blockage of the upper airway by food or other objects, preventing a person from breathing effectively. Choking can cause a simple coughing fit or c...learn more >>
Diagnostic x-rays are safe. But who hasn't wondered about them when undergoing a chest x-ray, mammogram, routine dental x-rays, or an x-ray for a broken bone?
...learn more >>