Swollen Lymph Glands (cont.)
Swollen Lymph Nodes Medical Treatment
A lymph node that is rapidly growing over one to two days has a different cause and treatment than generalized swelling of lymph nodes that occurs over a few months.
a doctor about the rapidly growing nodes at the time of examination because this helps to establish a diagnosis.
- Standard treatment for swollen lymph nodes may include pain relievers and medicine to lower a fever, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Warm compresses and elevation may help
reduce and resolve swelling.
- If the cause of the swelling is infection, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics or antiviral medications.
- If there is a localized abscess, it may need to be drained by cutting open the skin and then filling the opening with packing.
- For swelling due to malignancy, the treatment
may involve surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy.
- If a person has an immune disorder, he/she may be prescribed medication to help with the disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/15/2013
Must Read Articles Related to Swollen Lymph Glands
An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes: