Viewer Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

What was the cause of your swollen lymph nodes?

Comment from: Suepy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I recently had the quadrivalent flu shot because I'm over 65 (67). There was normal stiffness in my left arm because of the shot, but nothing I couldn't handle. Two days later I noticed a lymph node just inside my clavicle area was swollen and very sore to the touch. It will be a week tomorrow, though the soreness is gone, the node is still a bit swollen. My doctor said the lymph node is doing its job and to give it a bit more time. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Comment from: miss_lora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I noticed a swollen lymph node under my jaw in April 2014. Antibiotics were given. In October 2014 it was the size of a grape and still is today. I feel fine. No fevers, night sweats, weight loss, etc. X-rays show two swollen lymph nodes 1.5 cm and 1 cm, both next to each other. Ultrasound showed them as well. But nothing alarming. Fine needle biopsy showed nothing. CT scan with dye showed the nodes are still enlarged and nothing else suspicious. ENT says watch and wait. I go back on May 29 2015. They do not get smaller or bigger. The doctors don't seem too concerned. But I am.

Comment from: poilini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) and I had a lot of swollen lymph glands on my neck for the last 9 years. Now they have suddenly disappeared. I wonder if it is because I have stopped dyeing my hair!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have a small lump in my groin, a lymph node. Doctor said I have shingles, and that`s the cause. I run and am very fit. But I'm worried!

Comment from: Helene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have had a swollen lymph node for at least 12 years in my upper left breast. It's sometimes very painful and I have seen several doctors about it. Once a biopsy was done but it was benign. I've had ultrasounds of the area. Now I have a rash on the skin above it that has been there for a couple of months. I have only been told I have a swollen lymph node, which I already knew. I don't know the cause.

Comment from: caroline27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had one swollen lymph node in my left groin for about 8 months. It has never hurt before, but it is just now starting to.

Comment from: Ajoy12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had a swollen lymph node for several years now. About three months ago I started having really bad swelling around my neck and a tremendous amount of pressure around my jaw area. I was told my thyroid was enlarged. Blood tests determined that I didn't have any thyroid problems, but an ultrasound reveled I had several cysts in my thyroid. My doctor prescribed me two doses of antibiotics and the swelling subsided. Two days ago my neck started swelling again, even more than before. My ears hurt.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I got some swollen spots that were hot an red to the touch on the back of my lower leg. They was moved around which was very weird. They never went away so I went to the doctor and was swollen lymph nodes. I took strong antibiotics for ten days and thought I needed more. Mine were very painful. It was hard to sit down because of the pressure on my leg. I still have a tender lump and want to get it checked again.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had shingles a few months ago and all of my glands/lymph nodes on the right side of my face, behind my ear, and neck were swollen. Now, I have swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck. I have taken strong antibiotics two times and they are not getting better. I have headaches, light fever, and a sore throat off and on. My doctor is finally doing blood work to see what is going on.

Must Read Articles Related to Swollen Lymph Glands

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.