Viewer Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

What was the cause of your swollen lymph nodes?

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I got some swollen spots that were hot an red to the touch on the back of my lower leg. They was moved around which was very weird. They never went away so I went to the doctor and was swollen lymph nodes. I took strong antibiotics for ten days and thought I needed more. Mine were very painful. It was hard to sit down because of the pressure on my leg. I still have a tender lump and want to get it checked again.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had shingles a few months ago and all of my glands/lymph nodes on the right side of my face, behind my ear, and neck were swollen. Now, I have swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck. I have taken strong antibiotics two times and they are not getting better. I have headaches, light fever, and a sore throat off and on. My doctor is finally doing blood work to see what is going on.

Comment from: maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had swollen lymph nodes on my head, armpits, neck and legs. The doctor tested me for HIV and it turned out positive. Please, if you have unexplained swollen nodes that don't go away for months, visit your physician immediately.

Comment from: TofuNY, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

Please, anyone with a quickly growing "swollen node" on your neck seek medical attention from a head and neck specialist. My husband had one that turned out to be tonsil cancer that spread to some of his lymph nodes. One exploded causing a huge cancerous knot to grow on his outer skin with a mirrored growth inside. He had chemo, surgery, muscle from his chest put in his neck, more chemo and 33 radiations. I came to this site because he was doing very well, but now has some swelling under his chin. I am very concerned.

Comment from: MilosMummy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My 16-month-old son had raised lymph nodules around his neck (feel like small peas under the skin) during a cold and we thought it would pass, as colds do. However, this lead to a middle ear infection and more swollen lymph glands and a raging temperature. Our son was almost purple with the heat. We went to A&E and the wonderful pediatrician was on the ball and gave us antibiotics since it was acute. I wanted to share for other mums and dads!

Comment from: jas, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had swollen nodes since I was sick in January. I went to the doctor and was put on antibiotics but they never went away. Now they are swollen in the groin area too.

Comment from: Eship, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I had a swollen lymph node in my neck, and I was given medicine to cure the infection, after ten days they took blood tests, which came back with no problems, and then I was given an ultrasound. The throat doctor said there was a stone in the node, and it was up to me if I wanted the node removed, though there was a chance one of three nerves to the face or throat could be cut. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Comment from: ParanormalK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a series of sinus/cold/allergy issues starting back in September of last year and the lymph node under the left side of my chin swelled up. It went back down after a while, came back again a second time in November when I caught a co-worker's cold, then went back down. Just now it is allergy season and it got bad. All the doctors did was throw antibiotics and sinus/allergy meds at me and that only made it worse. I went to a Chiropractor who was also a Naturopath and he immediately had me stop taking the allergy medicine. I'm using natural alternatives and the swelling is still there but it is finally going down and my immune system in general is feeling better. He also found me an herbal formula that seems to help me with my allergies. Sometimes Western medicine can't solve a blasted thing!

Comment from: Brooky, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My six-year-old daughter had a group of nodes around her neck and ear, which caused pain whenever touched and there were days where it was hard then soft. She eventually had a scan to find there was a group of them, and thank goodness it didn't need to be drained but controlled by antibiotics. She was hospitalized for a couple of days and sent home to continue with oral antibiotics. The lump remains.

Must Read Articles Related to Swollen Lymph Glands

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.