Viewer Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Bettina, 65-74 Female Published: October 12

Regarding swollen lymph glands…If any of you are taking any of the statins, that could be the problem. A friend of mine had the swollen lymph nodes as well as swollen and sore tongue. No doctor could determine her problem. After reading all the side effects of Zocor, she stopped taking it and her swelling has subsided in just one week.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had a recurring problem for 3 years and had many different diagnoses ranging from sinusitis to sleep apnea!!! This was from a consultant allergist in Harley St and cost £458!! My symptoms are: Every 5 or 6 weeks I wake up feeling utterly exhausted and am ill and unable to work or do anything for up to 3 weeks. I also have a sore swollen gland at the base of my skull/neck. He also says that my thyroid levels are strangely equal! No further explanation. This affects my whole life.

Related Reading: thyroid

Comment from: daki29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hi,i have had a 3 lymph nodes(in my neck)since i have got cold and had an infection in April.they gone during the summer actualy get smaller, and in autumn they got larger not much but i have several ache in teeth and neck usually when im tired and its cold.they to react on antibiotics but they still on.It will be great if you could help or give me an idea what the problem is,my blood test if fine no infection everything is good.

Comment from: nursegrapes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have one particular swollen lymph node right below my left ear lobe. It's blueberry shaped/sized and hard. No pain when pressed on. It has been here for a month without change. I have not been having any allergy, sinus, or cold/cough like symptoms. My ears pop occasionally, which is pretty normal for me with the chronic sinus infections I have had in my life. No other lymph node that I have tried to palpate is inflamed. I had a doctor look at it the other day and she told me that if it did not improve in 2 weeks that she would send me to an ENT to most likely biopsy it. Why wait? I'm getting somewhat concerned.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 14 year old daughter has had swollen lymph nodes for over a year. When we first discovered them-she came and told me she had 'lumps ' on her neck, we took her in to the doctor. They did a test for mononucleosis, which was positive, and at the time we were relieve that's all it was. A year later the nodes are still swollen. There are a series of lumps on her neck and now one large one in her groin. We went back to the doctor. They ran a series of blood tests and did a chest X-ray. They all came out normal. We are waiting to get into the specialist to have one of the lymph nodes biopsied. Our appointment is two months away and we are very concerned in the mean time, but don't want to alarm her. From what I can gather, they want to rule out lymphoma.

Comment from: Mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 11-year-old was diagnosed with six enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. He had an ultrasound and the largest one is very close to his carotid artery. They want do another ultrasound to see how fast it is growing. He has been feeling unwell for a while now. He gets nosebleeds, is sick to his stomach, and very tired. He had a lot of blood taken and we are waiting for those results. I wish that his doctor would tell me what she thinks is going on with him.

Comment from: wptasha, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have three swollen lymph nodes in my back and an enlarged heart. It took two months to figure this out. At first, I was told they were just fatty tissues. Now they hurt more than ever. I recently started antibiotics, and they don't seem to help. I had blood work done, but and it was found that I didn't have an infection.

Comment from: Mel frm brooklyn, 35-44 Female Published: September 30

The left side of my skull, right above the hairline has swelling. I've been to the doctor a month ago and he said my body is probably fighting off a slight infection and this happens sometimes and lymph nodes swell up to fight slight infection. He said swelling should go away in 5 weeks. It has been about that time and swelling did not go away. As a matter of fact last few days, it is very tender and it hurts as if somebody pulled my hair on that side of my head. I also have headache on left back side of my head on and off. I made an appointment to see the doctor in 3 days. I wonder if this happening because I recently had a tooth removed.

Must Read Articles Related to Swollen Lymph Glands

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is cancer arising in breast tissue. Cancer is simply a group of abnormal cells that have abnormal growth patterns. Although breast cancer is...learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

What was the cause of your swollen lymph nodes?