Viewer Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Trish, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I had an experience with a cramp like feeling in my jaws, like eating something sour, but very painful. I was telling my friend of this experience as the gland in my jaw under my ear was swollen after this happening. It happened several times that evening. She said she knew the feeling as it just happened to her a couple of weeks before, and it was the day after she had gotten a flu shot. I told her that I also had received a flu shot the day before this happened, she told me this was a side effect from the shot, and this was listed on the paper that was given to her at Walgreens. I would never have connected this if I had not talked to her. I called my doctor and he doesn't think what happened was a side effect.

Comment from: mom of two, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

Yesterday my 13 year old showed me a swollen area on her neck. Only other symptom was head ache and back ache. The size of the knot is the size of an Eos Egg. After seeing her pediatrician, she confirmed swollen lymph node, etiology unknown. We called in with new symptoms. At school she continued to have headache, back ache, and arms and legs hurting. I picked her up and she was nauseated. I called the pediatrician again to report symptoms. She placed her on 875 mg Augmentin every twelve hours. She has taken the first dose, drinking fluids and resting. Two new symptoms as of 30 minutes ago, lightheaded and now fever of 99.7. We had another confirmed case of viral meningitis in our school today.

Comment from: Mother, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My daughter had severe sore throat, tiredness and weakness and swollen lymph nodes on her neck below and behind her right ear, and then it spread to the back of her head within 24 hours. We went to the emergency room (ER), they gave her antibiotics which didn't do anything so we went back to ER a 2nd time. That's when they tested her for mononucleosis and results came back positive. Antibiotics won't help, so we are just letting it take its course.

Comment from: dancer09bestie, 13-18 Female Published: September 30

I am 17 years old. I've had this knot under my arm scence I was 13 and I still have no idea what it is. It is immflammatory (under right armpit). I'm scared a little about it and sometimes I can't sleep at night. Sometimes I cry alot and I don't really cry easily. It is from that area. It's a golf ball size. It's sometimes squishy and a lot of the time hard as a brick. I wish that I knew what I was dealing with in this situation but I have no idea quite yet. I'm sure it's better to go to the doctor and find out what can be done about it rather than being so scared. It's possible it could be treated easily. Maybe there is nothing to be scared of. I should ask someone to take me to the doctor. The sooner...the better.

Comment from: mitch, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

About 1 week ago, I felt some not too severe pain on the left side of my neck and could feel a "lump" there. Shortly afterwards, the pain was gone but the lump remains, although (and this is difficult to tell) it seems a little smaller. I also have a stye "trying" to start in my right eye. It becomes painful but then the pain goes away but then it comes back.

Comment from: Trixie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

Female, 28 yrs old. Diagnosed with MS last year, daily injections. Recently found swollen lymph nodes in groin area. Waited several weeks, went to doctor, put on antibiotics. Month later, have not went down. Back to doctor, scheduled a biopsy. Told today they are benign. But they are still there as big as ever was. So many questions, no one seems to have an answer or even care.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Hello I have had swollen lymph nodes (in my neck) since I had a really bad sore throat and cold in April. It is mid June, and my lymph nodes are still swollen, they constantly ache and cause pain in my teeth. Sometimes they hurt more if I am tired, and less after sleep. It would be a great help if you could give me any ideas of what the problem is, and what I need to do to take care of it. Thank you so much for your help!

Comment from: mikeg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a severe cut to my finger which required removal of glass and stitches. Several days later I noticed the lymph nodes around my groin area became swollen. I have had fever and some night sweats. Other than being sore I go about my daily life. About 5pm. I will feel feverish. I take some Tylenol and then I seem to be ok. I was diagnosed with CLL a few months go, but white blood count has gone down. I went to my hematologist and he was puzzled. No sore throat or sign of lymph node activity anywhere else. He wants to wait another week of so and just see if the inflammation will go way.

Must Read Articles Related to Swollen Lymph Glands

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Swollen Lymph Nodes:

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Cause

What was the cause of your swollen lymph nodes?