Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury (cont.)
Self-Care at Home
Coccyx injuries are often extremely painful, so home care is aimed at controlling pain and avoiding further irritation to the coccyx.
- Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When on hard surfaces, alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
- For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury.
- Use ibuprofen (Advil), or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label for pain control.
- You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
- Eat foods high in fiber to soften stools and avoid constipation.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/27/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury
Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury: