Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

...
Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I fell down from a chair. The next day it was very painful for me to raise up from sitting position to standing position. I thought it is some injury will heal on itself soon. I went back to my work as usual with extreme pain. The pain was increasing, so I went to a doctor. I had undergone a CT scan, and the doctor found that my coccyx is fractured. The doctor gave me some pain killers and asked me to sit on a scooter's tube and take bed rest. Now I am in Delhi at my home. Even with heat treatment three times a day, I'm not getting any better.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I fell onto my lower back then bounced onto my shoulder area and broke my arm 13 days ago. I am still having mod/severe pain that is only partially relieved with Vicodin. I also continue to have moderate arm pain. The fracture is just below my shoulder. I have an immobilizer.

Comment from: JMEW, Female Published: May 02

I fell on wet stone steps and landed on my backside. X-ray showed no fracture even though it felt like my tailbone would slide out of place sometimes when I sat down. Two months later and my back still hurts and my back pops or cracks when I rotate my hips a certain way.

Comment from: chloe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

It feels like the bone moves to the left often and sometimes it clicks.

Comment from: Reruho, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I fell a couple of weeks ago as I was coming around the end of the bed. I started fall forward but landed on my tailbone and my head bounced of the door jam. My husband said he didn't see any bruises. It was difficult to sit; to get up from a sitting position, and to walk, but stairs were the most painful things to navigate. I was treating it with a NSAID and a heating pad. I was starting to get better until last night. I tried to sit on the bottom step of the stairs while I gave my dog a pill. I bumped my butt against a step. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I am considering going to the doctor to make sure I didn't fracture it, which will take even longer to heal than a bruise.

Comment from: Pranav, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

Hi, I started having tailbone pain out of nowhere. I don't remembering falling down or hitting on the bum. I went to two orthopedic surgeons. Both of them had to say only what I read on few sites on the internet: No remedy, just improve sitting posture. Lean forward while sitting to avoid pressure on coccyx. I'd say that did help, but the pain has not completely gone away and I am always conscious of the pain when I am sitting.

Comment from: Catchycan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I fractured my tail bone many years ago when I was hit from behind by a blunt object. X-rays confirmed the fracture. In the past year it has began to hurt again. I've found that a donut pillow is as bad as any chair unless I sit forward on it. Whoever recommended it must have a fractured coccyx mixed up with a hemorrhoid, or never had a tailbone injury. The center opening is just in the wrong place to alleviate any pressure on the tail bone. I've actually found that the pillows you buy to wrap around your neck for traveling make a great seat cushion when reversed with the opening at the back. Good support with no pressure on the tail bone.

Comment from: tailbone pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had pain in my tailbone area for several years. The pain occurs most when I am sitting down. It gets better but seems to get aggravated when I'm under stress.

Comment from: PIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

These user comments have been very informative- I'm glad they're posted... I just had a snowboarding fall 2 days ago where I landed tailbone-first. I have been in serious pain ever since. It hurts to walk (especially up stairs!). It hurts to go from a sitting to standing position, and like others have said, it even hurts to sneeze. If x-rays are done to determine whether it's a bruise or a fracture, would the treatment be any different than what it is now? I have no desire to incur additional medical costs at this point (and I'm also not thrilled at the thought of a rectal exam being done to diagnose this injury), so my concern is whether or not I go to the doctorr soon, or give it more time & see how things go...

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?