Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Comment from: tiredof beingdizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have Meniere's disease got dizzy and fell down my stairs hurting my tail bone. I can't bend over it hurts to sit, stand or lay down. The dr. took some x-rays and told me to go home and take acetaminophen. I have been taking 5 ibuprofen every 4-5 hours with no relief. It is actually getting worse in my opinion I can't even sleep. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I slipped on the stairs and my tailbone hit down four stairs in a row. There is terrible pain and it feels like it will never end. It hurts to stand or sit back or to lie on either side.

Comment from: Willow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had major hip repair surgery in October 2009, the surgery was approximately 4 hours long. I awoke from the surgery, still all doped up, with SEVERE tailbone pain, the surgical pain was nothing compared to this tailbone pain. It is now four months later & I have returned to work and the pain is back just as bad as it was when I awoke from surgery. I am going back to the surgeon next week, but he has not taken this serious so far. This pain is unbearable after just 1/2 hour of sitting. I also believe my SI joint is involved. What "type" of dr deals with tailbone pain and what can be done to stop this? I must work as I used all my sick time with the hip surgery, please help me.

Comment from: dancemaster8, 13-18 Male Published: January 26

2 years and 7 months ago I had a go-kart accident and badly bruised my tailbone, when I got back home I had a big back bruise across my bum. I went to get it looked at, and I went to a special doctor to get treatment for it. I had shock pads and massaged, then I stopped for a while and the pain stopped. The pain started from my tailbone and then went to my back, after a few weeks it stopped. Then last year it came back, and now it is so bad. I can't sit for a long while, and I can't lay in my bed comfortable because my back hurts, and my side, and my front hurts. It feels like someone is stabbing me and it hurts, and when I sit for a long time the pain shoots up my side and my tailbone hurts.

Comment from: haleymd38, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I slipped on ice and hit flat on my back and head. Now, I have a huge knot on my head and my lower back aches, which continues. With ibuprofen it is bearable.

Comment from: grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I fell on my tailbone when I was 4yrs. old and I could not walk for a long time. The soreness went away, but the area was very tender. Then I fell on a steel railing when I was 30 and I was hurting for weeks. I could not get out of bed without help. I am now 71 and I fell on my coccyx again and I can not move too fast or carry anything that is heavy for too long. I exercise and my instructor told me to sit on an exercise ball and sway on it. It helps a lot.

Comment from: Smalls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have a fractured tailbone from snowboarding. My doctor said that sitting on a doughnut, which brings other people relief, makes my situation worse. I agree! Sitting on a toilet is so painful. I hope this helps someone else!

Comment from: butthead, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I fell over 17 years ago and it still hurts. I never went to the Dr. because whats the use ?? It hurts to sneeze, bend, stoop over almost everything. You know how it feels,,,,bad.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I slipped on the snow and landed on my back. I was unable to sit straight up without intense pain. I have to sit on one buttock or on my side to sleep. It always feels like I am sitting on a lump. Sometimes, I find that I am relieved by walking. I have been unable to sit or drive.

Comment from: ksmedley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I fell over on the ice less than a week ago and my doctor feels I have cracked my tailbone. It's the most painful thing I have ever experienced!! I have purchased a wedge-shaped cushion with the cut out part and it is excellent for sitting down. I am currently taking painkillers which are helping to slightly take the edge off. I am only 25 and very worried by the awful pain and severe reduction in mobility I am experiencing. My doctor has advised that at this point there is no real point to having X-rays done as nothing can be done to help me. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!! :(

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?