Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Comment from: CoolC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 47year old female and healthy. On Saturday, the 9th of January I slipped on an icy sidewalk and landed on my tailbone. I didn't think much of it at the time as I was able to get up and walk on. However, that night I couldn't sleep as I had a persistent dull ache in my lower back. Today, four days on, the ache remains and I fear I've either bruised or fractured my tailbone. I'm planning to see my doctor later, but I'd like to say that I've found this article very helpful and enlightening. Thank you.

Comment from: Bella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have suffered the past several years from prolapsed discs in my upper back, but lately I've been suffering from tailbone agony and sciatica. After reading this article, I know now that they might actually be related, which is a relief, in a way. Usually I lay down while watching TV or if the pain becomes unbearable I'll get up and clean something or bake cookies (not a great way to watch my weight). I'm looking for alternatives to pain meds that might help me cope. As for right now, a donut cushion is the only way.

I am a 50 year old female (healthy). I injured my coccyx in August when I when I sat down on the seat of a bus. The seat cushion was worn and when seated you could feel the metal components in the seats. As I sat down I landed on the metal parts. Instantly I had severe pain to the point of nausea, sharp pain, bruising and swelling. That was August 2009. I went to the emergency clinic within 24 hours, followed up with x-ray and MRIs over the past 4 months. It's January 2010 and I am still experiencing chronic pain which forms a triangle area in the lower back closer to base of the spine. This has prevented me from water sports, exercise, and enjoying riding my motorcycle. I didn't realize how painful this type of injury would be.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

My injury occurred during childbirth. I'm a very small person and I didn't understand why I wanted to sit toward the front on my stitches when other new moms were sitting back to stay off their stitches. My doctor confirmed a coccyx fracture. It took a very long time to heal, but after a year or so it seemed to heal on its own. Twenty years later I fell off our back porch and landed on my tailbone. The X-ray was ugly, but once again it healed. Now, 8 years later it feels as if my tailbone is pointed out toward my back instead of curved in toward my pelvis. It's often uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful. I'm not sure anything can be done about this as my doctors have said they don't repair tailbones.

Comment from: Kathryn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was sledging in January around the 5th and I went over a ramp and landed on my coccyx with force, it has been almost 3 months since and the pain is excruciating, it hurts most after I try to stand up off a chair or try to bend down.

Comment from: stonecold, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I injured my tailbone three years ago bending down cleaning the floor. I fell back onto the edge of the coffee table. I have been in agony every since. I never went to the doctor because I thought there was nothing they could do. It is still sore three years later especially when I sit on something hard for any length time.

Comment from: alwaysin pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 03

I went to sit down in a computer desk seat and the back rolled around right when I sat down and I flipped backward right onto my tailbone and I thought I was going to die. All I could do was get on my knees and hold my breath. Well that has been almost 3 years ago and I am still having trouble with my tailbone. It doesn't hurt when I walk and it really doesn't hurt a lot when I sit down, but let me tell you, when I get ready to get up the pressure and the pain that I feel at my tailbone, well it just about causes me to pass out, and this is embarrassing but right above the split or crack area. Well the spot is sore and tender. It is awful.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I either fractured or badly bruised my coccyx after slipping at New Year. Since then I have been unable to sit properly and have to concentrate when turning over in bed. I haven't completed a full week's work since. Prescription painkillers have helped slightly when not spacing me out, but nothing reduces the pain completely. I feel like I have been kicked by a horse when the pain comes and it takes the wind out of me. I was hoping that it would get better, but judging by the responses on this page I won't be holding my breath!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I'm 26, and I grew up as a farm girl who was always outside being active. 5 years ago I fell when I was skateboarding and ever since I can't rotate my neck properly. I get sciatica almost daily, my tailbone hurts so bad I can't sit for long periods of time and it looks swollen all the time. My right knee swells up every now and then. I'm pissed off because the doctors won't help me and really take a look to see what is going on. I can't even go for a jog anymore. I look like I'm a 98 year old woman when I walk.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?