Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Comment from: Peter T., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I have been totally paralyzed for 23 years because of my tailbone injury. I can only lie on my back, but since my coccyx hurts so much at night, my husband is turning me for three hours on each side. He also uses electric stimulation on surrounding muscles, and we have every pillow imaginable. We don't even know what kind of specialist to see.

Comment from: DRakestraw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Almost 2 years ago I fell on the ice and got right up mostly because of embarrassment. Anyway I got right up and my back was a little sore and as the day went on my bottom was sore and later that day it was very sore. I have a sit down job and all your nerve endings are in that region. I work out and have a hard time doing that anymore because of sitting at the machines. To get up from my chair at my desk is a chore and I have to think about it for a while before I do it because it hurts so badly. I have been to the doctor and have had x-rays done and they do not see anything. I don't know what in the world is wrong and why it hurts still after almost 2 years.

Comment from: Raul, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I crashed my motorcycle and was tossed from it causing me to get facial stitches. I also got some road rash, but worse of all, pain in my tailbone. At the emergency room it was unbearable. I received pain medicine and was told it was just bruised. It's been over a month now and the pain is tolerable but it has not gone away. I hope it does as it is hard to exercise, work and continue my normal activities as before. It has been tough not knowing when this will go away, it feels like it won't.

Comment from: kimmer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I went outside with my dogs when the weather was snowy and icy. I slipped on the concrete sidewalk and landed on my tailbone. I couldn't get up for a few minutes then when I did get up I got into the house and passed out on my couch. It is now 3 days later, I'm still in severe pain and if I sit up straight too long I feel like I am getting sick and passing out. I hope this pain goes away soon.

Comment from: sahildary, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I injured my tailbone 3 months ago when I was playing soccer; suddenly some kind of mild pain occurred in my tailbone area. I didn't take it seriously and kept playing but afterwards pain became worse while sitting and standing. I didn't knew the real reason behind my pain but it was pain I wish my enemy didn't have. I haven't sat freely since 3 months. My doctor says I tore my ligament and it takes around 6 months to heal. I want to return to my good old days before 3 months, tailbone pain is the worst.

Comment from: Donato, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I injured my tailbone almost 13 months ago. I fell backwards on top of the corner of a raised bed. It was very painful. I went to the doctor and I was told that nothing can be done about it. I just need to wait until the bone heals. If I stay sitting for a long period of time, or a long drive will cause pain. This last 3 weeks I didn't have any pain and I was feeling relieved but today I drove more than 4 hours and the pain got back again. I just hope that I won't have this for life.

Comment from: Blueeyescrying, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was in a motorcycle accident. I fell on the pavement, and was bruised all across my bottom. It's been three weeks and it's still hurting.

Comment from: Nami Zou, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

One day I decided to ride my bike on the road and over one or two small hills. Most times I would stand, but eventually when I sat down, I felt a sharp pain. From then on I could neither sit nor lie down and I would feel a slight pain when standing or walking. I ignored the idea of visiting the doctor, did some stretches and within a week the pain disappeared. It is now exactly 8 days from that day and I woke up with a pain worse than from the day I first experienced it!

Comment from: Jojomonkeygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Slipped and fell down the steps. I have a large bruise and swelling now. The doctor took X-rays and said it was not broken. She gave me 800 mg Motrin and I was told to ice it. It's been about 36 hours since the fall. It hurts to walk, sit, or sleep.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?