Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

...
Comment from: Zita NZ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Nearly 30 years ago, during labor, the doctor made the decision to break my tailbone as my baby was stuck. I remember hearing a crack and said I think my pelvis just broke, he said he just shifted my tailbone. Well, the next 6 months were spent either sitting on one leg or on a ring cushion. Ever since I struggle sitting on hard chairs. I had a lot of pain flying from New Zealand to London in May. It is nearly 30 years and it still hurts. My specialist said it can be removed for NZD 13000. I think I may end up with more problems as I hear of the high chance of infection which can be ongoing. I believe once a tailbone is broken it is always going to be a pain in the butt. I wonder if anyone else suffers from severe back pain. Oh well, life goes on.

Comment from: Peter T., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I have been totally paralyzed for 23 years because of my tailbone injury. I can only lie on my back, but since my coccyx hurts so much at night, my husband is turning me for three hours on each side. He also uses electric stimulation on surrounding muscles, and we have every pillow imaginable. We don't even know what kind of specialist to see.

Comment from: DRakestraw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Almost 2 years ago I fell on the ice and got right up mostly because of embarrassment. Anyway I got right up and my back was a little sore and as the day went on my bottom was sore and later that day it was very sore. I have a sit down job and all your nerve endings are in that region. I work out and have a hard time doing that anymore because of sitting at the machines. To get up from my chair at my desk is a chore and I have to think about it for a while before I do it because it hurts so badly. I have been to the doctor and have had x-rays done and they do not see anything. I don't know what in the world is wrong and why it hurts still after almost 2 years.

Comment from: Raul, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I crashed my motorcycle and was tossed from it causing me to get facial stitches. I also got some road rash, but worse of all, pain in my tailbone. At the emergency room it was unbearable. I received pain medicine and was told it was just bruised. It's been over a month now and the pain is tolerable but it has not gone away. I hope it does as it is hard to exercise, work and continue my normal activities as before. It has been tough not knowing when this will go away, it feels like it won't.

Comment from: kimmer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I went outside with my dogs when the weather was snowy and icy. I slipped on the concrete sidewalk and landed on my tailbone. I couldn't get up for a few minutes then when I did get up I got into the house and passed out on my couch. It is now 3 days later, I'm still in severe pain and if I sit up straight too long I feel like I am getting sick and passing out. I hope this pain goes away soon.

Comment from: sahildary, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I injured my tailbone 3 months ago when I was playing soccer; suddenly some kind of mild pain occurred in my tailbone area. I didn't take it seriously and kept playing but afterwards pain became worse while sitting and standing. I didn't knew the real reason behind my pain but it was pain I wish my enemy didn't have. I haven't sat freely since 3 months. My doctor says I tore my ligament and it takes around 6 months to heal. I want to return to my good old days before 3 months, tailbone pain is the worst.

Comment from: Donato, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I injured my tailbone almost 13 months ago. I fell backwards on top of the corner of a raised bed. It was very painful. I went to the doctor and I was told that nothing can be done about it. I just need to wait until the bone heals. If I stay sitting for a long period of time, or a long drive will cause pain. This last 3 weeks I didn't have any pain and I was feeling relieved but today I drove more than 4 hours and the pain got back again. I just hope that I won't have this for life.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had tailbone pain since lying for so long for a heart ablation in September. It seems to be getting worse every day.

Comment from: Blueeyescrying, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was in a motorcycle accident. I fell on the pavement, and was bruised all across my bottom. It's been three weeks and it's still hurting.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is both a common form of recreation and transportation, which means it's important to remain safe through wearing protective gear like helmets and obe...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?