Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

...
Comment from: JennaSampson3042, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

Somehow a few days ago my tailbone started hurting and I didn't remember falling and hurting it. I jumped my horses and I think it is going to get really worst. It was hurting bad at school because every time I tried getting up from a chair, it started hurting so bad! I injured my tailbone a year (or more) ago and this is the second time I injured it.

Comment from: proverbs3130gal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

A few days ago I fell down in my front yard, while stepping outside my front door (somehow lost my balance). I fell flat on my back, with my knees up, and my tailbone hit flat on a large flagstone. Since then I have been in pain and experienced some throbbing after sitting down for extended periods of time. My brother is an EMT and he advised me to ice it the first few days, and then he advised me to apply heat to speed healing. The icing helped to numb the pain. It felt so good after icing that I was afraid to add the heat, thinking the opposite would occur. I was wrong! It felt so good to apply some heat!

Comment from: Roses12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Hi I fell on my tailbone almost thirty years ago, when I fell, it was on cement that was near water, the pain was so bad, that I thought I would not be able to get up. I went to the doctors months later, as I had a puffiness on my tailbone, he told me it was fluid, and not to worry about it, if it caused problems come back, the thing is it has affected me years later: I can't sit for too long, have nerve damage, which has affected my lower body organs, sciatica and also my mouth, I have serve arthritis in my spine, especially in my neck, and shoulders. I have had physio, that made me worse, I don't know if I can have surgery to rectify the problem.

Comment from: horseygal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was bucked off my horse 10 days ago and landed on my head and elbow. I think my tailbone hit the ground pretty hard though (onlookers said I landed on my head and then flopped over). After an MRI, elbow x-ray and lots of Ibuprofen, I'm fine except for my tailbone! It hurts to sit, stand, sleep and cough or sneeze. I haven't been in the saddle since and I'm starting to dread it. The pain is not excruciating like some of you have described, but it definitely hurts. Good luck to all of you!

Comment from: beverley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I fell in 1982 and was off work for six months when I broke my tail bone. It was the worse pain I've ever suffered -- even child birth does not compare. I could barely walk or lay flat without bending my legs. I was 18 years old and I've suffered for 29 years.

Comment from: Kicked in the butt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I am about to scream every time I sit, get up or lay down. A week ago I fell backwards. I tried to stop myself by grabbing onto my fiance but instead pulled him down with me. So with him on top of me I landed straight on my tail bone then flew back and hit my head on the baseboard molding on the wall. After ambulance ride, a CT scan and X-rays I ended up with seven stitches in my head and more pain in my butt than my children give me. It's been a week and has only gotten worse. Ugh did I mention my wedding is in 7 days? I hope this misery goes away by then.

Comment from: Kitten903, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I slipped on concrete stairs covered in ice this past February and hit 4 subsequent stairs resulting in a massive football sized bruise on my bum and hip. Here it is 3 months later and I cannot sit through a movie with my boys nor can I comfortably sleep. I have searched the web for any type of relief and so far I have come to the understanding that I have a long painful road and must do my best to not continually injure it.

Comment from: michigander, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've fallen twice in my life with the result of a cracked tailbone. The first time was when I was in my early twenties. The snow sled went one way and I the other - and I landed solidly on a small tree stump. The second was a week ago (I'm in my early fifties now) when I slipped on the carpet down the stairs. Both times, the pain was so bad it took my breath away and made me nauseous and faint. I walked and walked while I mentally assessed my injuries. Walking can be painful. Tightening my glutes is painful. Sitting down and standing up is painful. Riding on a bumpy road is painful. Unfortunately, it just takes a long time to heal... several months as I recall. Keep moving. Try anti-inflammatory medications. Be nice to your injured area and try to be more careful next time. Good luck with the healing!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?