Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: Female Published: April 05

I took a hard fall at roller derby last night, straight to the tailbone, had me breaking a sweat and rolling around in pain. Sleeping, standing, coughing, just about any and everything is discomforting. This is by far the worst injury I've ever had.

Comment from: NURSES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I fell down the stairs hitting my tailbone. Well, it turns out the only thing you can do per the orthopedist is to ice the area, use a donut cushion and take 800 mg of ibuprofen. Even with all of these things, the pain can last three to six months or longer. Good luck to anyone with this pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I fell on ice several years ago and broke my tailbone - confirmed by x-rays. The initial pain was excruciating. It hurt to raise my arms to wash my hair; it hurt to bend over, climb stairs, sleep, sit, etc. The pain subsided over time, but it took months to heal. Since the injury, sit-ups or other floor exercises are very painful. Sitting for extended periods is also very uncomfortable.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was reading everyone comments on tailbones and I also am suffering from a broken tailbone. I broke mine the first time when I was 15 and now again at 43 and I found what helps me is at night sleeping on my belly and a doughnut to sit on in the day time. On a good days I take 800 ibuprofen 3 times a day. I do want to say I'd rather be a pain in the butt than have this pain in the butt.

Comment from: Jenn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I fell on my bum while blading and hit my tailbone. The X-ray didn't show any fracture but the pain is killing me! Sitting down, standing up, lying down is painful!!!!! I thought, after one week, the pain still persists and could it be more serious than it is! Seeing all the postings here gave me some mental expectation of how long the healing might be and it's a relief that it's normal. But I sure hope the pain goes away fast!

Comment from: Allie, Published: February 22

A week and a day ago, I fell on my tailbone. I was dancing on my dining room floor with my friends and I did a jump and fell straight down on my tailbone. It was hard to get up but after about two minutes, my friends pulled me up. They helped me into the kitchen and I was in a tremendous amount of pain. I was standing and all of a sudden I felt like I would faint. I couldn't really hear and everything started to go black so I sat down and then I was okay. I was still in excruciating pain and my leg and my tailbone both hurt. Since then, my leg stopped hurting but my tailbone hurts when I go to stand up or sit down. Especially when I run, it hurts. When I bend over or move my leg to try to put on shoes it hurts. Today, I was dancing but not a lot, and now it hurts even more.

Comment from: Dawn, Pennsylvania, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My son just fractured his tailbone and is suffering horribly. Our doctor recommended pain meds and muscle relaxants which help very little. I have been asking some coworkers and friends who have had this and all say the same thing---the pain gets better but NEVER goes away completely. Some as long as 30 years. I work in a hospital and some of these were nurses. God help you all...my heart goes out to all of you, especially Anne from D.C.

Comment from: firearcher78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I fell two days ago when my shoes became packed with snow and I stepped on the vinyl flooring in the doorway. My entryway quickly became an ice rink and down I went! I landed right on my tailbone and hit my arm on the doorjamb. The next day I was walking around my car in the parking lot and didn't see the patch of ice behind my car and down I went again! My tailbone hurt after the first fall but after hitting it a second time, I could barely walk. The car is torture. I feel every little bump. I have to slide off of the couch. I can't find a comfy position at night in bed. I haven't gone to the doctor and am taking 600mg of ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation. According to my mother, there is not much they can do for the tail bone and I have a long road to recovery. Hot baths with Epsom salts work the best. Best of luck to anyone else suffering. Your friend in misery.

Comment from: Ellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I fell off a bicycle nearly 3 yrs ago and was told by doctors that there was nothing I could do. To this day I have bad pain in the tailbone when sitting, such as at a desk, on the sofa or at the movies. This injury has changed my life as I have trouble sitting upright for any length of time. I can get no medical advice or prognosis on my condition so I guess I have to put up with it for life!

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?