Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: babygotback, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

72 hours ago I took a bad fall down a flight of indoor carpeted stairs (about 23 of them). I must have hit my tailbone 4 times before tumbling over spraining my arm, my ankle and finally...at the bottom getting a huge gash on the top of my head...this was bad. I toughed it out for 24 hrs then finally went to the ER because the headache was so intense and I was afraid of infection and the bruise to my tailbone was so bad and sore. Turns out after CT scan to my head and X-ray to my tailbone, all is ok (and I'm lucky) but I want to die from this tailbone injury. Honestly I've had two kids. I'm a tough cookie. Getting in and out of the car is pure misery. I would gladly take the head injury any day over this pain and they gave me 600mg of ibuprofen, which is more like Pez. I want to keep crying. This is brutal.

Comment from: Zero1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I fell on ice yesterday, and landed on my tailbone extremely hard. My coccyx area has throbbed non-stop now for two days, and it is almost impossible to find a comfortable position to stand/lay/sit. Sitting down or getting up is pure misery, and trying to find a position to lie is torture. I'm usually not a wimp, and have a high pain tolerance, but this has literally kicked my tail (no pun intended). If this takes as long to heal as people are saying, then just shoot me and get it over with. I can't take aspirin or Aleve or ibuprofen, so I'm on my own there. Guess I'll give up and go to see my doctor tomorrow and see what they say I can do. Sure do hope they can do something, as this is much more painful than even any surgery I've had. Wow--who'd have thought that you can actually break you backside?

Comment from: lulu, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

Two years ago I fell in a store and broke my tailbone, I still feel it at times when I sit or turn a certain way. Last Saturday I fell and again broke my tailbone although not in the same place. The pain is horrible like last time and once again I am looking forward to the long recovery. This is a very painful injury and it changes your life in many ways. I work in the ER and know that I will be on my side or stomach with an ice pack attached to me for several weeks.

Comment from: JBM, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 18

About 6 months ago I was in my living room and fell asleep on my couch. I fell asleep in an awkward position, with my rear end right on the edge of the couch, with my legs hanging over, and all my weight on more or less on my tailbone area. When I woke up in the morning, I had big pain in my tailbone area. Felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat. After a couple weeks the bad pain more or less cleared up, but I still have minor pain and have to be careful with I sit down. From reading all these other comments, it looks I may be in for a long, long full recovery period (if at all). Nothing can be done... but be careful so you don't aggravate your injury.

Comment from: KAT, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I fractured my tailbone three years ago and I still experience pain. This injury has altered my life a lot.

Comment from: anne dc, 75 or over Female Published: January 06

Pain has been periodic for 60 years (fractured mine in a horseback fall when I was 15). Through peculiar (or non-) understanding of such injuries, I was required to get back on horse, and not allowed to stand to eat or get medical attention. Sitting was excruciating. Caused particular problems with childbirth, I now want to know if it could be related to reduced curvature in my spine (I'm told that norm is 36%, my MRI shows 13%), resulting in pain standing, sitting, inability to find comfortable seating or sleeping positions.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I fell ten months ago while gardening. I landed on a big rock right on my tailbone area of my butt. I didn't think much of it until the pain seemed to be increasing as time passed. After experiencing extreme pain while sitting, I finally decided to go to my doctor. She sent me for an EX-Ray and when I went back to see her, she said everything was fine. I went home and after another couple of months, I returned to my doctor with the same complaint. She then sent me for a bone scan and that too appeared to be normal. It has been ten months now, and I am so tired of not being able to sit on anything but a straight chair comfortably. The pain is now hitting when I go to stand up. My doctor has never examined me, and makes me feel like this is all in my head, when I know it isn't, it is a big pain in the butt. I am allergic to any anti-inflammatory, due to a blood clotting condition.

Comment from: Grannieroofie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I fell 10 days ago flat on my Coccyx on hard wood flooring. I was trying to be real careful since I crushed my wrist in Nov. and in April I fell and fractured my arm, had surgery both times and a week after my last surgery, I had to have another one to have a metal plate inserted with 6 screws for more support. You better believe when I fell on my butt I held my arm up out of it touching anything! I can sit and it doesn't hurt, lay and it doesn't hurt but try getting up or down or walking and the pain is excruciating! I also have severe arthritis and Fibromyalgia, the doctor says because of those things it could take longer to heal I've had a lot of surgeries in my life and I don't bounce back like I used to now that I'm 67 years. old. I've had 5 back surgeries and right now I have 4 ruptured disc, I just can't get well enough it seems to go get my back taken care of. I feel sorry for anyone with a broken tail bone!!

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?