Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Comment from: firearcher78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I fell two days ago when my shoes became packed with snow and I stepped on the vinyl flooring in the doorway. My entryway quickly became an ice rink and down I went! I landed right on my tailbone and hit my arm on the doorjamb. The next day I was walking around my car in the parking lot and didn't see the patch of ice behind my car and down I went again! My tailbone hurt after the first fall but after hitting it a second time, I could barely walk. The car is torture. I feel every little bump. I have to slide off of the couch. I can't find a comfy position at night in bed. I haven't gone to the doctor and am taking 600mg of ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation. According to my mother, there is not much they can do for the tail bone and I have a long road to recovery. Hot baths with Epsom salts work the best. Best of luck to anyone else suffering. Your friend in misery.

Comment from: Ellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I fell off a bicycle nearly 3 yrs ago and was told by doctors that there was nothing I could do. To this day I have bad pain in the tailbone when sitting, such as at a desk, on the sofa or at the movies. This injury has changed my life as I have trouble sitting upright for any length of time. I can get no medical advice or prognosis on my condition so I guess I have to put up with it for life!

Comment from: babygotback, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

72 hours ago I took a bad fall down a flight of indoor carpeted stairs (about 23 of them). I must have hit my tailbone 4 times before tumbling over spraining my arm, my ankle and the bottom getting a huge gash on the top of my head...this was bad. I toughed it out for 24 hrs then finally went to the ER because the headache was so intense and I was afraid of infection and the bruise to my tailbone was so bad and sore. Turns out after CT scan to my head and X-ray to my tailbone, all is ok (and I'm lucky) but I want to die from this tailbone injury. Honestly I've had two kids. I'm a tough cookie. Getting in and out of the car is pure misery. I would gladly take the head injury any day over this pain and they gave me 600mg of ibuprofen, which is more like Pez. I want to keep crying. This is brutal.

Comment from: Zero1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I fell on ice yesterday, and landed on my tailbone extremely hard. My coccyx area has throbbed non-stop now for two days, and it is almost impossible to find a comfortable position to stand/lay/sit. Sitting down or getting up is pure misery, and trying to find a position to lie is torture. I'm usually not a wimp, and have a high pain tolerance, but this has literally kicked my tail (no pun intended). If this takes as long to heal as people are saying, then just shoot me and get it over with. I can't take aspirin or Aleve or ibuprofen, so I'm on my own there. Guess I'll give up and go to see my doctor tomorrow and see what they say I can do. Sure do hope they can do something, as this is much more painful than even any surgery I've had. Wow--who'd have thought that you can actually break you backside?

Comment from: lulu, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

Two years ago I fell in a store and broke my tailbone, I still feel it at times when I sit or turn a certain way. Last Saturday I fell and again broke my tailbone although not in the same place. The pain is horrible like last time and once again I am looking forward to the long recovery. This is a very painful injury and it changes your life in many ways. I work in the ER and know that I will be on my side or stomach with an ice pack attached to me for several weeks.

Comment from: JBM, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 18

About 6 months ago I was in my living room and fell asleep on my couch. I fell asleep in an awkward position, with my rear end right on the edge of the couch, with my legs hanging over, and all my weight on more or less on my tailbone area. When I woke up in the morning, I had big pain in my tailbone area. Felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat. After a couple weeks the bad pain more or less cleared up, but I still have minor pain and have to be careful with I sit down. From reading all these other comments, it looks I may be in for a long, long full recovery period (if at all). Nothing can be done... but be careful so you don't aggravate your injury.

Comment from: KAT, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I fractured my tailbone three years ago and I still experience pain. This injury has altered my life a lot.

Comment from: anne dc, 75 or over Female Published: January 06

Pain has been periodic for 60 years (fractured mine in a horseback fall when I was 15). Through peculiar (or non-) understanding of such injuries, I was required to get back on horse, and not allowed to stand to eat or get medical attention. Sitting was excruciating. Caused particular problems with childbirth, I now want to know if it could be related to reduced curvature in my spine (I'm told that norm is 36%, my MRI shows 13%), resulting in pain standing, sitting, inability to find comfortable seating or sleeping positions.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?