Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I fell ten months ago while gardening. I landed on a big rock right on my tailbone area of my butt. I didn't think much of it until the pain seemed to be increasing as time passed. After experiencing extreme pain while sitting, I finally decided to go to my doctor. She sent me for an EX-Ray and when I went back to see her, she said everything was fine. I went home and after another couple of months, I returned to my doctor with the same complaint. She then sent me for a bone scan and that too appeared to be normal. It has been ten months now, and I am so tired of not being able to sit on anything but a straight chair comfortably. The pain is now hitting when I go to stand up. My doctor has never examined me, and makes me feel like this is all in my head, when I know it isn't, it is a big pain in the butt. I am allergic to any anti-inflammatory, due to a blood clotting condition.

Comment from: Grannieroofie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I fell 10 days ago flat on my Coccyx on hard wood flooring. I was trying to be real careful since I crushed my wrist in Nov. and in April I fell and fractured my arm, had surgery both times and a week after my last surgery, I had to have another one to have a metal plate inserted with 6 screws for more support. You better believe when I fell on my butt I held my arm up out of it touching anything! I can sit and it doesn't hurt, lay and it doesn't hurt but try getting up or down or walking and the pain is excruciating! I also have severe arthritis and Fibromyalgia, the doctor says because of those things it could take longer to heal I've had a lot of surgeries in my life and I don't bounce back like I used to now that I'm 67 years. old. I've had 5 back surgeries and right now I have 4 ruptured disc, I just can't get well enough it seems to go get my back taken care of. I feel sorry for anyone with a broken tail bone!!

Comment from: broken67, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I broke my tailbone in a snowboarding accident Jan28th 2011. I still can only sit for 3 hours a day and cannot do any sort of activity. I have missed a month of school and can still only go to two classes a day. I am very frustrated! I heard it takes about 9 months to heal, but 2 and a half months later I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: MN Gadget Girl, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 14

I fell VERY hard, while skiing, 9 days ago. Of course the first thing to hit the snow was my tailbone, nothing broke the fall. It knocked the wind out of me. I have suffered in excruciating silence for 9 days, thinking there was nothing anyone could do for me. Then today, I called my chiropractor. He indicated the healing time could be longer or impaired all together, if there was a fracture or dislocation of the coccyx. I immediately went in, and he said I adjusted very easily. The adjustment was not painful and I although I still have some pain, it is not as excruciating as before, and I am sitting more comfortably today. My advice to everyone, see a chiropractor, who knows what he is doing. I will re-post to tell you when I am completely healed. Thank you for this information.

Comment from: lozzaa, 13-18 Female Published: March 09

I slipped about 4/5 years ago and still suffer nowhere near as much as I was but if I sit for a long period of time or lay in a funny position I still get the pain I had all those years ago. I've had physiotherapy but said there was nothing they could do it will just self heal, over a long period of time.

Comment from: plowgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had my tailbone injury when I fell in driveway a while ago. The pain lasted for many long weeks. Could not sit stand or get up. Now took x-rays and tailbone is off to one side. My doctor talked about having it removed.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?