Viewer Comments: Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: broken67, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I broke my tailbone in a snowboarding accident Jan28th 2011. I still can only sit for 3 hours a day and cannot do any sort of activity. I have missed a month of school and can still only go to two classes a day. I am very frustrated! I heard it takes about 9 months to heal, but 2 and a half months later I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: MN Gadget Girl, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 14

I fell VERY hard, while skiing, 9 days ago. Of course the first thing to hit the snow was my tailbone, nothing broke the fall. It knocked the wind out of me. I have suffered in excruciating silence for 9 days, thinking there was nothing anyone could do for me. Then today, I called my chiropractor. He indicated the healing time could be longer or impaired all together, if there was a fracture or dislocation of the coccyx. I immediately went in, and he said I adjusted very easily. The adjustment was not painful and I although I still have some pain, it is not as excruciating as before, and I am sitting more comfortably today. My advice to everyone, see a chiropractor, who knows what he is doing. I will re-post to tell you when I am completely healed. Thank you for this information.

Comment from: lozzaa, 13-18 Female Published: March 09

I slipped about 4/5 years ago and still suffer nowhere near as much as I was but if I sit for a long period of time or lay in a funny position I still get the pain I had all those years ago. I've had physiotherapy but said there was nothing they could do it will just self heal, over a long period of time.

Comment from: plowgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had my tailbone injury when I fell in driveway a while ago. The pain lasted for many long weeks. Could not sit stand or get up. Now took x-rays and tailbone is off to one side. My doctor talked about having it removed.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?