Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

...
Comment from: ConfusedandFedup, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I didn't have a fall, no injury or trauma to my tailbone at all. Last year on Thanksgiving, my tailbone started hurting for no reason and nearly 1 year later, it is still hurting and I still don't have a diagnosis. Originally they thought it was referred pain from a loose screw from my spinal fusion, but my spine surgeon wouldn't even consider that possibility even though another general surgeon, radiologist and my primary care physician says it clear on the x-ray and CT scan. Anyway, last week I had a ganglion of impar block in my tailbone to see if that is the problem, and it would appear the pain isn't originating from the tailbone as the injection did nothing for the pain. I had 3 days of increased pain and then back to my normal daily pain I have had for a year. Next week we will do a hardware block so see if it is a loose screw causing the referred pain in my tailbone.

Comment from: Doctor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I slipped on a rain slick stair 30 years ago. The provider I saw, laughed and wrote a prescription for a year's supply of Motrin, and said that no one was going to be bothered by this fracture but me. He was correct. I have been bothered by tailbone pain for 30 years, in a constantly increasing fashion. At age 69, I can barely tolerate sitting, but getting up is worse, and please don't make me sit down again once I'm up. Now I can't take NSAIDs so it is much more apparent.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have fallen twice and hurt my tailbone. Once 15 years ago and again 7 years ago. It has never healed but pain used to go away after some time, but now never. I was put on steroid pills for 5 days recently but gained 10 pounds that week but pain went away for a month. Best month of my life. I cannot sit anywhere, cannot take trips, so I just stand and walk around most of the time. If I twist my body and turn over when I sleep, the pain is horrible. I guess I will try the shot now but they said it is hard to get it in the right place. Worst injury I have ever had.

Comment from: chole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was at my friend's house and we were playing flashlight tag and I had my socks on (bad choice). So I slipped and hit my head but I also hurt my tailbone. About 2 or 3 months later it still hurts whenever I sit, sometimes or stretch.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I fell hard going down the stairs and broke my tailbone. For years I had pain and I kept hearing I should sit on a doughnut cushion. Finally I could not stand the pain anymore and I bought one. I took it with me everywhere I went and I did not sit down unless I sat on the doughnut cushion. I also got the cortisone injection at the same time. I am sure if I had not used the cushion I would not have improved. It was several months later I noticed the pain got better. It is gone now but if I sit in a certain position I can feel the pressure and it starts to ache.

Comment from: Dilon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I recently had a fall from slipping on some ice. I fell hard back on the steps out my back door once my feet went out from under me. I felt ok at first then as morning came I couldn't sit or stand up without intense pain. I had tried everything. Heat and soaking in Epsom salt water with my bath. The heat helps it to relax some but is still painful.

Comment from: 1chance1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I was stuck in the back of a cargo van sitting a stainless seat for 11 days traveling the country. This was back in March. I am still having pain in my tailbone. It is always there. Sometimes better some times worse. Just walking for about 20 minutes makes it hurt worse.

Comment from: jonintrix, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell at work, and went to their doctor. In my back I had pulled a muscle, anyway it was swollen, this was on September 16, 2015. After swelling went down my physical therapist had me doing stretches. Then I was released because I could do it. A day or so later, I couldn't sit on my bed, or in a chair, or drive without twisting on a hip. My work made a big deal out of me falling backwards on the floor, and I was put on light duty, sitting pulling files out of boxes, thick files. And people just didn't care, if I hurt. I was told over and over again, you can't do nothing about it. It hurts so bad, up to this day October, 24, 2015, just as bad as when I discovered the injury, does it ever go away, I wonder. It has made my life an agony. I'm beginning to think there is no recovery.

Comment from: unhappywithtailbone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I noticed my tailbone hurting after my first bike ride of the season last summer [2014]. I have been a bike rider for several years, this is the first time I had tailbone pain. I did crack my tailbone when I was about 14, I'm now 48. I have been to the doctor, had an x-ray, been to physic, been to massage; so far no relief and everyone has given me a different reason for the pain. It is very frustrating!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is both a common form of recreation and transportation, which means it's important to remain safe through wearing protective gear like helmets and obe...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?