Viewer Comments: Tailbone Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: Lily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

This is Lily. I told you about breaking my tailbone when a child, then it getting pushed out and re-broken when I had my first child. Well, I went somewhere the other day and was in a crouched position taking a picture when I lost my balance and landed on it again. I heard an audible pop and felt it move. I was afraid what was going to happen when I stood. I hit it at a position where it popped it back in and it no longer pushes out against my clothes or can be felt through my clothes. I'm in mild/moderate pain depending on what position I'm in, but not nearly the pain I had the first two times I broke it. I wonder if I fixed it.

Comment from: laurapike62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had tailbone pain from an unknown reason for more than 3 years without any lower back pain. Nothing works. I have tried every donut I think they make. Being on a donut brings on hip pain, so I truly feel my pain is S1 related. I can't even make 2 miles in the car and the pain is intense. Gabapentin does work a little bit but makes me downright goofy. I did the steroid injection and it only tripled my pain. I have a truly wonderful orthopedic doctor who I will never stray from. II will be having my tailbone removed 5/23/2012 as both my primary and orthopedic say there is no purpose for the tailbone and you can live without it. Yea, I am more than ready to get my life back.

Comment from: alam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I AM HAVING TAILBONE PAIN FOR THE LAST ONE & HALF YEAR, ESPECIALLY WHILE SITTING FOR A LONGER PERIOD.IS STEROID INJECTION ADVISABLE FOR TAILBONE PAIN? I AM TOLD THERE IS ANOTHER INJECTION CALLED OZONE INJECTION.IS THIS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION?

Comment from: Peaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I fell backwards about 7 or 8 days ago and apparently injured my coccyx. Immediately I did not feel the pain, but maybe it was several hours later. I am experiencing sleep loss at night because it tends to be painful while lying on my back and when I turn over in bed. Also when rising from a chair I feel stiffness and pain in that area. I will try the ice and heat remedy.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I injured my coccyx about 20 years ago after falling over a rolled up carpet. I had pins and needles in my legs for a few minutes but I did nothing about it over the years I have suffered with a bad back and last year got to the stage where I could not sit or stand I was in terrible pain. This year I had a rectal manipulation under general anesthetic. I feel fantastic! I still get back pain, but nothing like before. Don't worry, it's not embarrassing!

Comment from: brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I damaged my coccyx windsurfing 20 years ago and I still haven't recovered properly I can't sit for more than 20 minutes without a constant pain. This is made worse on air plane flights.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell down hard in my apartment and hurt my tailbone. I broke it in two places. Doctors have given me two injections: steroids and cortisone.

Comment from: tammycrisel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell on wooden steps about 2 weeks ago. The ER and other doctors I called said they couldn't tell me what exam they would do (depending on which doctor I get) or how long it would take to heal (depending on extent of injury). Most likely there will first be a rectal exam. I don't know about the rest of you but it makes no sense to push on possible broken bones before taking x-ray. They claim they want to feel for dislocations or breaks and to see if it hurts applying pressure. I can tell them it hurts and there is already pressure.

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: February 21

I still have significant pain after 8 months. I stumbled backwards and sat on a cooler. There was no pain at the time, the next morning or after a three-hour car ride. The next day I started feeling pain after sitting in a chair at work for five hours. I have a cushion for tailbone injuries helps when sitting and in the car but it will not heal and the pain is significant.

Comment from: Sloos, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed by a gastroenterologist as having a bruised tailbone. The only way I think this might have happened is when riding an elephant in Thailand while sitting on a wooden board , there was a lot of bouncing around. It has been about nine months since this occurred and sitting is still painful, is it possible to receive this injury in that manner? I am quite thin, with not much padding.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.