Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

Comment from: Peaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I fell backwards about 7 or 8 days ago and apparently injured my coccyx. Immediately I did not feel the pain, but maybe it was several hours later. I am experiencing sleep loss at night because it tends to be painful while lying on my back and when I turn over in bed. Also when rising from a chair I feel stiffness and pain in that area. I will try the ice and heat remedy.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I injured my coccyx about 20 years ago after falling over a rolled up carpet. I had pins and needles in my legs for a few minutes but I did nothing about it over the years I have suffered with a bad back and last year got to the stage where I could not sit or stand I was in terrible pain. This year I had a rectal manipulation under general anesthetic. I feel fantastic! I still get back pain, but nothing like before. Don't worry, it's not embarrassing!

Comment from: brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I damaged my coccyx windsurfing 20 years ago and I still haven't recovered properly I can't sit for more than 20 minutes without a constant pain. This is made worse on air plane flights.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell down hard in my apartment and hurt my tailbone. I broke it in two places. Doctors have given me two injections: steroids and cortisone.

Comment from: tammycrisel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell on wooden steps about 2 weeks ago. The ER and other doctors I called said they couldn't tell me what exam they would do (depending on which doctor I get) or how long it would take to heal (depending on extent of injury). Most likely there will first be a rectal exam. I don't know about the rest of you but it makes no sense to push on possible broken bones before taking x-ray. They claim they want to feel for dislocations or breaks and to see if it hurts applying pressure. I can tell them it hurts and there is already pressure.

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: February 21

I still have significant pain after 8 months. I stumbled backwards and sat on a cooler. There was no pain at the time, the next morning or after a three-hour car ride. The next day I started feeling pain after sitting in a chair at work for five hours. I have a cushion for tailbone injuries helps when sitting and in the car but it will not heal and the pain is significant.

Comment from: Sloos, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed by a gastroenterologist as having a bruised tailbone. The only way I think this might have happened is when riding an elephant in Thailand while sitting on a wooden board , there was a lot of bouncing around. It has been about nine months since this occurred and sitting is still painful, is it possible to receive this injury in that manner? I am quite thin, with not much padding.

Comment from: Raven1031, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was being treated for whiplash by an osteopath who got too aggressive and first caused muscle strain in my upper back. I am told that my tailbone will take months to heal. When I get up from a chair, I have to hold my backside. This is so discouraging to be treated for whiplash and be injured by the osteopath in the course of it all. I feel 200 times worse than I did after the accident. It makes no sense to me and I cannot go back to him. If I did, he would probably cause me to be paralyzed. As it is, I am afraid I will be hindered by this for months or years or the rest of my life. When I found this site/forum, I could not believe how everyone's symptoms are the same. And, I too - cannot sit on anything with an even surface. If I sit in my desk chair, I have to sit way back where it is more flat. I did find a flat gel cushion to sit on that seems to help a bit, but this is sheer hell. It seems impossible to deal with a neck, upper back and now lower back/tailbone issue at the same time. I wish all of you the best in the healing process.

Comment from: Liz , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I injured my tail bone when I was just a child and again about twenty years ago. For some reason three years ago I started getting excruciating pain again having no knowledge of any injury to it. After many failed attempts with drugs as pain relief I was referred to have cortisone injections they did help a little, but it then felt like I was sat on a ball. Twice I endured the pain of having the injections but refused the third I could not stand having any more it felt to me like torture. About four months ago the pain just went as quick as it came.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.