Viewer Comments: Tailbone Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: Raven1031, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was being treated for whiplash by an osteopath who got too aggressive and first caused muscle strain in my upper back. I am told that my tailbone will take months to heal. When I get up from a chair, I have to hold my backside. This is so discouraging to be treated for whiplash and be injured by the osteopath in the course of it all. I feel 200 times worse than I did after the accident. It makes no sense to me and I cannot go back to him. If I did, he would probably cause me to be paralyzed. As it is, I am afraid I will be hindered by this for months or years or the rest of my life. When I found this site/forum, I could not believe how everyone's symptoms are the same. And, I too - cannot sit on anything with an even surface. If I sit in my desk chair, I have to sit way back where it is more flat. I did find a flat gel cushion to sit on that seems to help a bit, but this is sheer hell. It seems impossible to deal with a neck, upper back and now lower back/tailbone issue at the same time. I wish all of you the best in the healing process.

Comment from: Liz , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I injured my tail bone when I was just a child and again about twenty years ago. For some reason three years ago I started getting excruciating pain again having no knowledge of any injury to it. After many failed attempts with drugs as pain relief I was referred to have cortisone injections they did help a little, but it then felt like I was sat on a ball. Twice I endured the pain of having the injections but refused the third I could not stand having any more it felt to me like torture. About four months ago the pain just went as quick as it came.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I climbed over the side of my cot and landed on my face fracturing my nose and bending my head all the way back. I then tumbled down two brick steps. Over the years the join above the break has fused. I was not taken to the Doctor, no medical treatment was received. When I was 49 years old and after many Doctors giving me medication for migraines and telling me to have my coccyx amputated, I finally decided to have the surgery. After the surgery the Surgeon said "it could be three years before you are pain free". The surgery failed to do what many GP's said it would do, I am in permanent pain and cannot sit for long, cannot lay on my back and now have pain in both my legs. I am currently taking anti-inflammatory tablets which only help a little and I walk using crutches.

Comment from: AD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

A month ago I was hit by a car as a pedestrian. I flew 30ft at a height of 12m (all captured and measured on camera) and landed in a sitting position. I have a hypermobile segment of the coccyx which causes pain in sitting and lying on my back. Luckily walking is fine. I find a wobble stool enables almost pain free sitting. Prognosis is several years for it to heal if it does. I have tried acupuncture, electro acupuncture, steroid injections. Nothing has worked yet. I take pain killers and avoid sitting on inappropriate chairs.

Comment from: midweststudent, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My tailbone started hurting a little over a week ago, and I can't remember any traumatic injury like falling. I was having tailbone pain earlier last month but it was nothing like what I feel now, and it went away shortly afterwards. It is nearly constant pain! I almost fainted twice due to pain. I have been taking Ibuprofen (NSAID) but it doesn't seem to have any affect. Icing and heat seem to work a little but not enough for me to sleep a full night! I am at home for a few days but due to Holiday, and the clinic is closed. I'll be going on Monday. Truly hoping they can do something to help.

Comment from: Narny8, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

When I was about 11 I was riding around on my new roller skates. My friend dared me to go down the hill pathway. I did, only problem was I lost balance and feel straight on my tail bone. I still remember how horrible the pain was, I screamed on impact. My friend then had to hold me up on the way home and I stayed in bed for two days. The constant pain went away over time. But now, 7 years later, I still have trouble sitting for too long without the pain coming back and giving me discomfort. I had an X-ray done a couple of years ago and the doctor said my coccyx is bent and I may need an operation at 18. I'm worried about that kind of surgery and I don't think I will be able to get into the police force with medical history like that either.

Comment from: billandjoan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My tailbone was injured six days ago and is getting much better. I know several times a day, this remedy is enough to ease the pain: alternate heat and ice for 20 minutes each, four times per day.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I fell backwards down jagged cement steps. I was bleeding badly from various cuts and bruises however, my tail bone is giving me the most grief. I had an X-ray taken while lying on each side. Apparently, I am badly bruised, but nothing appears to be broken. However, I cannot sleep on my back, and the pain is severe when I climb one or more steps. It also hurts when I rise from a chair or ride in a car. I fell 2 weeks ago, and the pain is worse rather than less severe.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?