Viewer Comments: Tailbone Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone Injury - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone injury?

Comment from: kmrau1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My husband and I were fishing on our pontoon boat with our friends in their boat next to us. I went to the rear of the boat to push us apart so we would not bang into each other. Upon getting back into the main area, a short wave hit the side of our boat and I lost my balance and fell right on my tail bone. I just laid there, and didn't move for about 5 minutes. I just asked my husband to leave me alone, give me a minute to catch my breath. I eventually pulled myself up to the chair - but rested on one side. It has been 2 weeks and I don't feel any better yet. I sit at a desk working most of the day, and the worst part is - I am a runner. I was training for an 8 mile race which was 2 months away. I am fearful I will not be running this year in my favorite race. I can't climb stairs without grabbing the railing to pull me up - and it is very painful. I have not gone in to see a doctor - but I am so frustrated with not being able to go for a long walk, let alone run. My son just told me it could be several weeks if not a couple months before this will heal. I look forward to this 8 mile race every year - but I know this year I will have to watch from the side line. I am smart enough to know if your body is injured take the time to let it heal - as frustrating as it is, I know its the best thing to do.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm a 48-year old healthy female. I've had pain in my coccyx for 6 years. No known specific trauma, though I did fall once when rollerblading. I'm surprised when reading all the comments, that no one expresses what is my greatest pain: I don't have any pain so much when sitting, but complete agony when trying to GET UP from a seated position. The pressure is incredible. I find when I sit on any chair, near to the edge with my weight on my upper thighs, the pressure is removed from my coccyx, and I can get up. From all I've read, there isn't much to be done, but sit carefully, and not for too long at a time. and take NSAIDS when it gets unbearable.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Pain During Intercourse
Pain During Intercourse Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or after sexual intercourse. Pain during interc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury:

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Recovery Times

What was the recovery time for your tailbone injury?

Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.