Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I climbed over the side of my cot and landed on my face fracturing my nose and bending my head all the way back. I then tumbled down two brick steps. Over the years the join above the break has fused. I was not taken to the Doctor, no medical treatment was received. When I was 49 years old and after many Doctors giving me medication for migraines and telling me to have my coccyx amputated, I finally decided to have the surgery. After the surgery the Surgeon said "it could be three years before you are pain free". The surgery failed to do what many GP's said it would do, I am in permanent pain and cannot sit for long, cannot lay on my back and now have pain in both my legs. I am currently taking anti-inflammatory tablets which only help a little and I walk using crutches.

Comment from: AD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

A month ago I was hit by a car as a pedestrian. I flew 30ft at a height of 12m (all captured and measured on camera) and landed in a sitting position. I have a hypermobile segment of the coccyx which causes pain in sitting and lying on my back. Luckily walking is fine. I find a wobble stool enables almost pain free sitting. Prognosis is several years for it to heal if it does. I have tried acupuncture, electro acupuncture, steroid injections. Nothing has worked yet. I take pain killers and avoid sitting on inappropriate chairs.

Comment from: midweststudent, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My tailbone started hurting a little over a week ago, and I can't remember any traumatic injury like falling. I was having tailbone pain earlier last month but it was nothing like what I feel now, and it went away shortly afterwards. It is nearly constant pain! I almost fainted twice due to pain. I have been taking Ibuprofen (NSAID) but it doesn't seem to have any affect. Icing and heat seem to work a little but not enough for me to sleep a full night! I am at home for a few days but due to Holiday, and the clinic is closed. I'll be going on Monday. Truly hoping they can do something to help.

Comment from: Narny8, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

When I was about 11 I was riding around on my new roller skates. My friend dared me to go down the hill pathway. I did, only problem was I lost balance and feel straight on my tail bone. I still remember how horrible the pain was, I screamed on impact. My friend then had to hold me up on the way home and I stayed in bed for two days. The constant pain went away over time. But now, 7 years later, I still have trouble sitting for too long without the pain coming back and giving me discomfort. I had an X-ray done a couple of years ago and the doctor said my coccyx is bent and I may need an operation at 18. I'm worried about that kind of surgery and I don't think I will be able to get into the police force with medical history like that either.

Comment from: billandjoan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My tailbone was injured six days ago and is getting much better. I know several times a day, this remedy is enough to ease the pain: alternate heat and ice for 20 minutes each, four times per day.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I fell backwards down jagged cement steps. I was bleeding badly from various cuts and bruises however, my tail bone is giving me the most grief. I had an X-ray taken while lying on each side. Apparently, I am badly bruised, but nothing appears to be broken. However, I cannot sleep on my back, and the pain is severe when I climb one or more steps. It also hurts when I rise from a chair or ride in a car. I fell 2 weeks ago, and the pain is worse rather than less severe.

Comment from: kmrau1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My husband and I were fishing on our pontoon boat with our friends in their boat next to us. I went to the rear of the boat to push us apart so we would not bang into each other. Upon getting back into the main area, a short wave hit the side of our boat and I lost my balance and fell right on my tail bone. I just laid there, and didn't move for about 5 minutes. I just asked my husband to leave me alone, give me a minute to catch my breath. I eventually pulled myself up to the chair - but rested on one side. It has been 2 weeks and I don't feel any better yet. I sit at a desk working most of the day, and the worst part is - I am a runner. I was training for an 8 mile race which was 2 months away. I am fearful I will not be running this year in my favorite race. I can't climb stairs without grabbing the railing to pull me up - and it is very painful. I have not gone in to see a doctor - but I am so frustrated with not being able to go for a long walk, let alone run. My son just told me it could be several weeks if not a couple months before this will heal. I look forward to this 8 mile race every year - but I know this year I will have to watch from the side line. I am smart enough to know if your body is injured take the time to let it heal - as frustrating as it is, I know its the best thing to do.

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.