Viewer Comments: Tailbone Pain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

...
Comment from: Shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Four days ago I fell down wooden stairs landing on my tailbone. The pain was extreme and immediate. I started blacking out but somehow managed to drag myself up the stairs and into the recovery position. My phone was nearby, but I had trouble ringing the emergency services as I kept blacking out. When I did, I just lay there till they came. They tried to get me to sit up which was impossible and took me to hospital where x-rays showed a badly broken coccyx. Strong painkillers were administered and I was told it would take two months to recover from it. Because I live alone they kept me in overnight. Friends and neighbors have been wonderful, bringing food, walking the dog, and vacuuming. I feel very lucky that the fracture wasn't centimeters higher up which could have meant loss of the use of my legs.

Comment from: Bunny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have had tailbone pain for almost 5 years. I am not sure what caused it; I do remember falling heavily whilst climbing over a small fence and sort of jarring my back (I fell very heavily onto one leg but remained upright). The pain actually began shortly afterwards whilst I was travelling by car; it just got worse and worse and it has never gone. I cannot sit at all on soft seats now; no, the pain is too much! I can sit briefly on hard wooden seats if I lean forward to take all weight off my coccyx. I can't sit like that for long! (I don't go far!) When I have had to sit (very briefly) then I have coccyx pain, pelvic pain, internal pain, severe horrible pain which means I can't bear to move. I just have to lay down with hot water bottles for my pelvic pain, and ice on my coccyx. I have had different medicines (not very helpful), physiotherapy (made it worse), and acupuncture (helped a little). For almost 5 years I have avoided sitting at all times. I crouch down, I lay down (on my side) and I keep moving. If I haven't sat, then I can walk without pain. Travelling is a nightmare. I sit on a car tire inner tube (my coccyx hovers over the hole of the tire) but can only manage 40 minute journey time, absolute maximum! It's been life-changing; I hardly go anywhere, I hope it will heal one day! Good luck to everyone with this injury, wishing us all one day full recoveries and pain-free sitting!

Comment from: PR, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I noticed lower back pain a few days after falling on my back on the edge of a moving truck while loading a heavy table. My back itself is fine, it just hurts at the bottom tip (tailbone) when I sit down or lay flat at night; and now a lot more painful for the last couple of nights during sleeping. It has been a week since the injury and the pain is growing. Ibuprofen based medicines and icing have provided a bit of relief, but at night, man, it hurts. It's like sudden unforeseen spasms regardless of position. Thanks to all who have shared their info. Has put a bit of a mental ease in knowing what I am dealing with.

Comment from: Sal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I fell out of bed and landed on my tailbone. X-rays confirmed it was broken. I was told to use ice for about 3 days and take pain meds. Other than that, it's just a matter of time. As far as getting back to bowling and golf I was told I couldn't do any more damage so I was just limited by the amount of pain I could tolerate.

Comment from: marry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I slid on a wet slimy paper near the shower of the pool area. I flew in the air and landed on my back, left side and hit my head. My coccyx is cracked, the pain excruciating and the Dr. says it will take about a month to heal. Walking is recommended. Do not lift anything over ten pounds. At this age who knows how long before I will feel better.

Comment from: pokerdan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I fell on my butt playing ice hockey. I have fallen thousands of times before without any discomfort. Tonight when I hit the ice I felt the worse pain I have ever felt. It felt like a jolt of electricity flew through my back, and I almost passed out. I felt like I was going to vomit, and now I am in bed suffering from chills and flu like symptoms because of the pain. I cannot lean forward in bed. I feel fine lying on my back and have put tons of tiger balm on my lower back. Maybe I damaged my back and not my tailbone? But, I have a hard time pushing when going pee etc. It hurts too badly! I will let it heal on its own I guess.

Comment from: ADar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

The other day I was sitting in a chair at home when I started sneezing. All of a sudden, there was a pop in my tailbone area, and I started to experience severe pain. I can't imagine what the connection is, and haven't found anything like this online. I suffer from MS as well, but I honestly don't think that is the cause. The "pop" and the pain began immediately when I sneezed. It's now day 4 and I can't find any relief.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tailbone (Coccyx) Injury

Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is both a common form of recreation and transportation, which means it's important to remain safe through wearing protective gear like helmets and obe...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia):

Tailbone Pain - Describe Your Injury

Please describe your tailbone injury.

Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

Tailbone Pain - Cause

What caused your tailbone pain?