Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

Comment from: pshark1964, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Ice helps me a lot more than heat, sometimes I think heat actually makes it more painful. My doctor has mentioned my ear drums are pulled back so maybe there is more going on than TMJ.

Comment from: Renee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have been having problems with TMJ syndrome for about a year. I tried the mouth guard, didn't work. My doctor has me on mild muscle relaxers at night to stop the grinding & it has helped. I still get pain once to twice a month at least. Sounds stupid, but ice packs help me more than heat compresses. The article I read on this site says it is a temporary thing, the syndrome. But I really don't think it is. Doesn't seem like it's gonna go away.

Comment from: Meche in MN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I was diagnosed with TMJ when I was around 12. They had me wear mouth guards at night and four hours every day. Then I got braces and they kept my jaw banded together. None of it worked. I have constant pain in my jaws, eyes, neck, and constant migraines. I am at a 9 on the pain scale every day. I go to see a doctor again about this, but they never seem to do anything. My whole life has been taken over by this!

Comment from: gzmogrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Most TMJ joint area pain is from chronic bruxism. Mine was the silent clenching. I have had every scan, deviation study, orthotic, surgeries for jaws, ears, and nose. Any treatment you have heard of, I tried it. the majority of people with TMjoint area pain, nothing helped more than briefly (including Botox and muscle relaxants). But I kept up with the studies, and found an iPod sized unit for EMG and CES. I am convinced that no one should spend money until they use the most effective diagnostic of EMG studies. I like optional CES to stop the bruxing and disordered sleep. It gave me back some quality of life, which none of the other treatments did, even after I spent a house worth of money on the outdated stuff that still reigns on the internet and in USA dental offices. At least the Mayo Clinic and some other places with integrity admit that replacement is no substitute for stopping the pain. Google TMD, EMG, CES for the latest studies.

Comment from: Bobbin _, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I go to the chiropractor often for my neck and they started adjusting my jaw. It does wonders.

Comment from: Jeannie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Tried many, many treatments from ibuprofen to mouth guards, you name it nothing helped with this awful pain. I wanted to and quite often would just curl up in a ball and cry! Finally under the advice of coworker I went to see a chiropractor. What a MIRACLE these adjustments were on my jaw! The manual manipulations were uncomfortable at first HOWEVER instant relief (and still is) a miracle treatment for me and I would recommend to anyone who suffers from TMJ! Good Luck!

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: sandrale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 52 year old female and I been living with TMJ for over 20 years. I have no life because the pain never stops. The headaches never stop. The cold weather brings on the pain, the ear aches, and the pain that runs down my neck. The left side kills me all winter. I have to make myself go out sometimes, and the pain just brings me back home to my bed.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have had little relief from the botulism injections that my doctor has done. He has me on 15mg of Roxicodone every 6-8 hours combined with a mild muscle relaxer and that seems to help the pain subside. I still have pain but the meds he has me on are a definite help. I have also tried the mouth guards at night to help with jaw placement so I don't grind my teeth at night or clench my jaw. I read about a brace that can be implanted/placed and I will talk to my doctor about that option. This is a very helpful site and I am grateful to know I am not the only one out there suffering from chronic pain. It is hard for people who don't have TMJ to understand what we go through. Thanks again.

Comment from: jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been treated for TMJ with the use of a splint. I've worn it for two and half months and I'm still in pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?