Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

Comment from: Inpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had TMJ for just over 6 months. My symptoms were very broad. It started with severe dizziness which I thought was just vertigo for 3 months. I visited so many different doctors and was diagnosed with migraines, nasal infection (as indeed I had one), migraines, flu, tumor, the list goes on. I have seen 3 GPs, 2ENTs, 1 vestibular specialist, 1 neurologist, 2 TMJ specialists, 2 dentists and an allergist. I've been told that Botox can be a great solution and am now considering. I'm close to ending my career that I love which involves lots of driving and travelling which I am unable to do due to my conditions. I wish there was a cure for this terrible syndrome.

Comment from: mlsw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had TMJ since my twenties after a car accident. Icing helps much more than heat.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

TMJ has affected my ears. The results were severe tinnitus and vertigo. It got so bad hospitalization was required. I was finally referred to a specialist and after two cortisone shots and a lower tooth mouth guard, the condition has stabilized. I still have occasional ear pain, but the vertigo is gone. Funny thing is at no time have I had any jaw problems or pain. My doctor has told me that surgery in any TMJ case should be the last resort because it has a poor success rate.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: Laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 58 years old and have had TMJ for quite a few years, but only the last 5 years has it gotten worse. Whenever I sing is when it flares up. When I have to hold a note for a while, my jaw locks up. It's so embarrassing. I get an instant headache. I have been to a chiropractor, but it didn't help at all. I have to move my jaw side to side to make it thru the song. It helps short term, but will have to give up singing.

Comment from: JO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have had ear pain for 4 months. Was sent to an ENT. She said I had TMJ and I will have physical therapy on Friday. I also go to a chiropractor and he has been adjusting my jaw which has has helped. I no longer have the sharp pain.

Comment from: Jason, 35-44 Male Published: December 06

I just wanted to say thanks to those people on here that suggested seeing a chiropractor. I was diagnosed by my dentist with TMJ about 1.5 years ago and have been in pain since. I tried the usual splint, moist heat and pain killers without any results. After reading these posts I decided to tell my chiropractor about my TMJ diagnosis to see what he could suggest. Luck for me, he actually specializes in jaw adjustments. Within 10 minutes of him doing his magic I felt 95% better than I had in over a year and a half. I have since been back for 5 further treatments and I can't believe what a difference this has made. I'm pretty much back to normal. He adjusts my jaw, but also stretches the muscles in the lower jaw area by pressing his finger between my teeth and jaw bone. This is of course not a very technical description, but whatever he is doing works.

Comment from: Amy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My fiance has had TMJ for 4 years. He is 23 and it takes over our lives.It is so sad that at such a young age his life if full of such chronic pain. He has been on every pain killer out there, worn mouth guards and even had the flushing out operation mentioned on this site. This did provide a small amount of temporary relief but he was soon back to his unbearable amounts of pain, we have recently moved to Perth from UK and we are seeking any new options for him here.

Comment from: Shannon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with TMJ 2 years ago. I had a constant earache in both ears, so from Doctor to Ear Specialist who then referred me to a Maxillofacial Surgeon who confirmed it. Muscle Relaxants and Anti-inflammatory pills did nothing for the pain. I am currently on Hydrocodone which is the only pain killer that alleviates my ear, neck, jaw, and headaches. My medical insurance won't pay for the splint nor another consultation with a Maxillofacial Surgeon, so I am at the mercy of my general doctor. I do not want to be on pain killers for the rest of my life. Does anyone know if Botox works? What about surgical procedures?

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?