Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

...

I have had joint pain and severe popping and cracking in my right jaw for 20 years. I am now 35. I have tried all the recommended treatments and have had very little success (braces, night guards etc.). I experience headaches, ear fullness and pain, facial pain in front of my ear, extreme pain when opening my mouth wide to yawn or laugh or eat followed by cracking (that can be heard up to 5 feet away) and dislocation.

Comment from: mainesp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I've been suffering with TMJ for probably 10 years or so. I get dizzy; face and head sensitvity and severe headaches. Some days would be worse than others. It would affect my everyday life and work. I took muscle relaxers and mild antidepressants. A co-worker mentioned a chiropractor so I tried that, and it worked for about two years it did wonders. I'd get some headaches but the worst of it was gone. About a month ago something changed and now even the chiropractor doesn't help. I'm at my wits end. I went to my doctor and she gave me a strong pain killer and that didn't even touch the pain. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Andre8, Published: January 19

I have had TMJ for about 3 months, and it isn't getting any better. When I play the sax, I sometimes get jaw-aches, and am barely able to open my jaw at all. Though my jaw has gotten better from the first few weeks, it limits every day activities.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I've had TMJ for about 8 or 9 years now. I'm only 20 years old and the pains from my jaw are practically paralyzing me. Sometimes I get a chemical pain that overwhelms my head and upper back area. I'm not really sure that there is much to be done for it now. My brother has it too. I know mine is getting worse because of the pain I have been suffering. My chewing has gotten louder too, eating during school lunch hours has become someone embarrassing due to the loud popping my right side is making. I just wish there was a cheaper way of fixing this so I don't fail at life.

Comment from: SherryD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

About 5 yrs ago, after suffering with a "sinus infection" for close to 3 months, taking a few rounds of oral steroids, I decided to go to an ENT doctor. It was he who diagnosed my TMJ. I wasn't having acute sinus infections at all, although I guess having them could affect TMJ. He prescribed me more drugs and sent me on my way. A few days later, after being zonked out on the couch with pain meds (and even they weren't cutting out all the pain), I decided to try acupuncture. I was VERY skeptical! With the first needle he put in, it sounded like a tire deflating. I almost jumped off the table! I stayed, and we finished the treatment. By the time I got to my car the pain was immensely decreased!! The swelling had been so severe, and now was gone...my teeth rattled on that side of my face! That was it, I was a believer! To this day, when I think another bout is coming on, I make an appointment with my acupuncturist right away.

Comment from: gratefulpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I suffered severe trauma to my TMJ in an accident over 30 years ago. It left me with fractures and multiple fractures of almost all of my posterior teeth. I have suffered enormously for the past 30 years and have an incredible wealth of experiential knowledge to pass along to anyone who has TMJ. Resultant from the accident is subsequent dental complications that arise from the death of natural teeth and their limited root life post endodontics. I am thankful and grateful to the some of the finest dental post-grad students and their professors and supervising dentists for the treatment at Tufts NE Dental School. I recommend anyone with TMJ to be seen there in the prosthodontics department .

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I fractured my skull when I was 5 years old. When I was 9 a dentist removed the molar next to my "eye" tooth because the back broke off of the tooth. He didn't put any kind of bridge or whatever they would use to keep my teeth from shifting. When I was 12 I broke my tail bone during a cheerleading practice. When I was 13 I was punched in the jaw by an 18 year old man. When I was 14 I ran into a girl's head with my nose (playing basketball) and was knocked out. My nose was broken. When I was 15 I was hit in the same place on my skull that had been fractured when I was 5. It was another concussion. I had several children and my tail bone was involved. When I was 28 I had a snow blower shoot out from under me and I landed on my chin on the sidewalk. Another concussion. In the last 10 years I've been attacked by 2 dogs while on my roller blades and landed on my (very fragile) tailbone both times. It now sits at an angle that causes pain if I sit too long in one position, like driving a car. Bear with me here. I told you all this because I believe my TMJ was caused by all these accidents put together. If you all think back you might remember a head or back trauma that you'd forgotten about.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?