Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Comment from: arleen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

hola.. mi nombre es arleen tengo 30 a√Īos y soy assintente dental pero tuve la mala suerte de por ser assistente dental queria lucir unos dientes no perfectos pero bonitos por aquello de dar el ejemplo.estoy en tratamiento de ortodoncia y eso me a causado el sindrme de tmj.mis sintoma son mareos,dolor en la articulacion y mucha molestia dolor de cabeza aveces tengo dificultad al tragar por los espasmos q esta condicion causa . mi pregunta es y si alguie me podria ayudar es que si algun dia voy a sentir alivio porque la realidad es q esto me esta desesperando mi correo es arleenlandrau@hotmail.com ,le estaria muy agradecida gracias

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My experience with TMJ has been that I have had a loud popping of the jaw. I am also unable to open my mouth all the way, and my bite is slightly off.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: December 15

My only symptom was a blinding headache on the right side of my head at the eyebrow bone. Even breathing made it worse. Years before my dentist had warned me I was a good candidate for TMJ. My orthodontist removed three bridges and put braces on my teeth. The bridges had held my teeth solid while the other teeth shifted to the point my jaw had shifted a quarter of an inch to the left through the years. The last bridge was the final straw that brought on the pain in the head. After surgery, that realigned the lower jaw bone, cutting through the bone and screwing it in place. The surgery relieved all the pain and now when I go the dentist they place a block in my mouth so that I can rest my teeth on it and not have to tense my jaw to hold it open. They do this while giving me brief periods of rest. Exercises are also very helpful.

Comment from: 4treasures4me, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 32, and have had TMJ symptoms for more than 10 years. Before braces, my jaw was stiff- sometimes I had to work it to be able to open it enough to eat and after braces, it hurts ‚Ä“ a lot. The intensity comes and goes and gets worse with stress, and my allergy symptoms. I have pain that radiates into my ear, neck, head; all on the left side. I have struggled with dizziness for nearly 2 years. I wear a retainer at night to keep my teeth straight, but I have had a constant headache for 4 days even with painkillers, which usually work. Chiropractic care used to work, but the last few months the muscles are so inflamed it will not allow the adjustment.

Comment from: Duke, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

My boyfriend was just diagnosed with TMJ. I have rheumatoid arthritis; I work at a hospital and an urgent care clinic so I had heard of this but not real familiar. His pain came on all of the sudden and he swore that either his upper wisdom teeth were coming in or that he had some type of tooth decay/infection. I took him to the dentist despite the fact he only has medical insurance and no dental insurance. This is how sure he was that it was a tooth. The dentist did 2 x-rays and tapped, poked, and prodded every tooth in his mouth. The dentist suggested he may have a severe sinus infection or ear infection and insisted we go to a doctor right away. We went straight to the urgent care clinic who then diagnosed him with TMJ. So I was shocked when I did research on TMJ and found that a lot of patients were diagnosed by their dentist. Needless to say we both have our fingers crossed that the prescriptions he got work and quickly.

Comment from: Trudy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

- Jaw Pain (intense) - Jaw Pain (dull, constant) - Ear Pain (stabbing, random) - Face Pain - Eye Pain - Extreme pain while eating, talking, yawning, lying down or being reclined on back - Cannot open mouth much

Comment from: hs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had serious pain from TMJ after series of long dental treatment. I had to keep my mouth open for a long period of time under quite a bit of stress during visits to dentist. I thought I would rather die than going through the incredible pain in my head. In the mean time, I got one root canal, one tooth extracted for an implant. Who knows whether all these were necessary… After all the dental work was done, I went to an acupuncture doctor. It was like a miracle. Anyone who is suffering from TMJ should try acupuncture. You would not believe. I got it yesterday and I feel like a new person. Please do not suffer. I know what the pain is like. He put about seven or eight needles around my ear and neck on the side I had problem and one on between my thumb and index finger for about half an hour. I will go for another treatment and that's all I need.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have been suffering with jaw pain for a little over a month. I am taking Voltaren as well as Tylenol. Everything has been getting better but today, I have been in immense pain all day. I took twice the recommended dose of all of my medicine but it still took the pain almost 8 hours to subside. I am going to try a warm compress now and call my doctor again on Monday. I cannot take another day of this.

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?