Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have been suffering with jaw pain for a little over a month. I am taking Voltaren as well as Tylenol. Everything has been getting better but today, I have been in immense pain all day. I took twice the recommended dose of all of my medicine but it still took the pain almost 8 hours to subside. I am going to try a warm compress now and call my doctor again on Monday. I cannot take another day of this.

Comment from: Sufferer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 55 years old female and have been living with TMJ since I was in my 20's. I was in a car wreck in 1972 and was not wearing a seat belt. Started having back pain but could not find anything then. Then I hit the 80's and I started to have all kinds of pain. The one that has been the most painful is my TMJ. I was chewing gum and my jaw went into a spasm. Then I would get where I could not open my mouth. Also I would have migraine headaches almost every day. My dentist sent me to a doctor who specialized in TMJ and he started working on my problem. Wore out 3 mouth guards and was still in pain. Sent me to an orthodontist who said I had the worst case of TMJ he had ever seen. We talked about me having my jaws broken 1 at a time and wired back till healed, but could not promise me that it would help. So my TMJ doctor, orthodontist, and oral surgeon after my husband and I suggested pulling my teeth and making me dentures to fix the problem finally decided that would be the least painful for me and it helped for 15 years, but my dentures wore and now I am going through the pain and spasm and clicking I went through the first time. I am now wearing an orthotic right now and hope to get some teeth that will help my problem again. I am thankful that I found my TMJ doctor because I was having so much pain in my face, neck, and back and they were related. He helped me understand what was happening to me.

Comment from: Nick V., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had pain in my left ear and jaw that came from grinding my teeth while sleeping, which led to headaches during my waking hours. My dentist noticed the wear patterns during an annual checkup and suggested a night mouth guard for my uppers. When I use the night mouth guard, the TMJ symptoms go away, but it is a bit cumbersome and not very romantic for my wife. As long as I stick with the program, I'm fine. When I stop, the symptoms return within a week.

Comment from: katrina, 45-54 Female Published: October 08

The pain started in my right ear right after I got a crown on my molar and started wearing a night gaurd because I grind my teeth. I still have pain, 2 months later and my right ear has pain and ringing. The ENT doctor said I have TMJ and to eat soft foods, use moist heat and if that dosn't work he will take a MRI or perscribe muscle relaxants. My dentist said my bite and the night guard looks fine.

Comment from: Gigi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Funny...I didn't notice TMJ until 1/2 through my Dental Hygiene program. (I guess i was holding my mouth open too much… ha!) I only have it on the right, which causes me too be "off-base". Every day I wake up the pain is there, and every night. I have had some very custom-made bite blocks made. Chiropractic, trigger point injections, morphine...anything short of a miracle. I am not considering getting braces. The TMJ never actually pops out on the right, forcing my jaw shut, since I've have a bite appliance, so that is good. In 2004, it shifted on the right actually forcing my jaw closed about 5-6 times that year. The nerve pain went down through my ear. OMG! The second time, it was lunch, I bit into a cracker and it locked for 45 minutes. I couldn't even make to class, I was bawling...I went over to the head facility of the Dental Hygiene program, and she knew I couldn't open my mouth. She began massaging it, and it released...some scary stuff! I am feeling I should get a specialist. I am 39, and beginning to get stiffer as I age. I am a little concerned about where my pain level would be in 10 years when I start combining this with a little arthritis. Although, I have dental training, I am not an expert at this. I am just like you living on a day-to-day basis. I guess in school, I should've just kept my big trap shut! HA!

Comment from: Zoo, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I've had a few of the jaw symptoms back in April and after a few months, the symptoms came back. I'm not sure if this is really too serious, but I've had moments where my jaw seems to be locked but after a bit, my jaw would unlock itself. I also experience popping in my jaw occasionally. I don't want to be the kid who cried wolf, but I don't want this to turn into something serious, either...

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was diagnosed recently with TMJ. My symptoms cause ear ringing and pain from my ear that travels along my jaw down to my chin. Everything feels inflamed. Very painful. Thought I had ear infections and turned out to be this.

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?