Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Comment from: tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

My dentist put crowns on tooth numbers 18 and 19 that are at least 2mm short which caused 20 and 21 to wear down and now I'm completely out of occlusion on my left side. I don't brux and don't think I clench, but I often wake up with headaches that will usually subside if I stretch my neck and back in the morning, but I tend to have lower backaches very often on my left side and hip too. I'm curious about the TMJ relationship to this discomfort and want to know the best remedy and long term results if I continue on this course as is since it will cost about $6000 to restore this issue.Tom

Comment from: shirley, 65-74 Female Published: October 28

My son, 40, has been sleeping with a C-Pap machine for 5 years because of Sleep Apnea and now seems to have developed TMJ. He had been experiencing neck, shoulder pain and a popping jaw. Now he is in terrible pain and on pain medications. He is seeing a dental TMJ expert and will have to use a mouth piece to try and relieve the inflammation. He may need surgery. Seems the C-Pap machine might have caused the problem. I wondered if anyone else on a C-Pap was also having TMJ problems.

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?