Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

...
Comment from: amandeep, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have a pain in TM (temporomandibular) joint area and difficulty in opening mouth. The pain increases during chewing.

Comment from: Meerhud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

Three months ago I started having neck pain then ringing in my ears. I went to my doctor, he told me I had sinusitis, and he gave me amoxicillin and decongestant that didn't work. So I went to an ENT and found there was no hearing problem. ENT told me I have TMJ/TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) so I went to emergency. They took a CAT scan and nothing was wrong. Then I went to a neurologist and he ordered an MRI which was normal. After that I saw three more doctors and all told me to see my dentist. I went back to the dentist and he sent me to a TMJ specialist who said I have TMJ, so I just got a night guard. He also told me my tinnitus was from the TMJ and gave me 600 ibuprofen for 7 days.

Comment from: Melbray, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had TMJ since I was 12 years old. I'm 34 now, so it's been a 22-year-old problem for me. I'm fortunate that mine doesn't cause a huge amount of daily problems. I've had one bad experience in which it locked and when I forced it open it popped something awful. It caused me a lot of ear pain. So much that I actually thought I had an ear ache and went to the doctor to make certain. I know to not force it open now. I think it was a panic moment at that time. I have noticed that it's slowly getting worse as I get older. It's difficult to be out in the cold. It aches worse and I have trouble talking. The dentist visits are getting very hard. I end up w/ a headache and a jaw ache afterwards. I think I was fortunate to have a good orthodontist when it first started who tried to fix it. He managed to minimize the popping sound which could be heard all the way across a large room and corrected my overbite, but it never fully rid of the TMJ. Now it pops, but only I hear it which I'm thankful for as it would be embarrassing now. I have been told surgery is really a last resort and my pain and problems right now do not warrant for it and I hope never do.

Comment from: Marti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am 51, and I have been living with TMJ since I was in my early 20's. I have gone through treatment several times, and it gets very costly! The joints on both sides are totally deteriorated. I guess my jaw is locked shut. I am able to open my mouth one finger wide. I taught myself how to speak with very little movement in my jaw. However by doing so, at the end of the day my whole head, neck, and shoulders are killing me. I'm thinking I might need to learn how to sign, because at the rate I'm going, speaking may no longer be an option for me. I am so frightened of what's to come! Mostly because I can no longer afford treatment. My TMJ has never gone away, it has only gotten worse! What is a person to do when nothing seems to help! TMJ has prevented me from even keeping a steady job.

Comment from: honesty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I'm 39. I was told a few years ago I had TMJ. Back then the pain was bearable I was able to study/work. Now in my late 3o's the pain has gotten worse. Everytime I'm pregnant the jaw ache/headaches come back, then disappears for a few months. Lately after my two miscarriages, I've noticed the pain has gotten worse. I get visual disturbances and now feel unable to cope with it, especially when you have 2 young children. I feel scared to do anything in case I get stressed then the pain reappears. There must be some cure. I will try acupuncture/complimentary medicine. The thought of living my life like this and not able to enjoy my kids saddens me. I know there are many people out there with serious conditions so I feel blessed in some ways mine isn't life-threatening. I pray that I will get better. I hope everyone finds a cure. I feel I can't tell people how I feel as they won't really understand.

Comment from: GhostGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had jaw pain, ear pain, some facial tingling on and off, headaches/migraines, and the most irritating popping and stiffness in my jaw for years now. I'm 26. More recently it has been so bad... It started on one side of my teeth, then migrated to my entire lower jaw, then progressed into my whole head and face, and neck hurting for days. Dizziness, nausea. Nothing really helps so far except stretching it, or drinking hot things, hot compresses. It's frustrating! I had no clue what it could be, my mom kept saying, maybe it's TMJ... I didn't think much of it until I finally looked it up, and ALL the symptoms match exactly!

Comment from: azj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Since I have TMJ before & it has gone away on its own. My primary doctor has said that it should just go away again. I can go to a dentist..but I have seen the mouth 'pieces' or 'guards' that they make for you to wear while you are sleeping. Personally, I don't think I would be a good candidate for one since I'm on oxygen at night.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?