Viewer Comments: Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

Comment from: jm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just found out last night that I have this. My headache was so bad it was a stabbing pain in my head. The emergency room doctor knew right away what it was. It surprised me! He has referred me to a dentist and I'm actually just reading about all of this online to educate myself.

Comment from: CAThomas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

TMJ makes me feel terrible. Some days I wake up and I'm fine and other days I feel really sick. The symptoms I have are subtle and sometimes I'll mistake them for a sinus infection or an ear infection. I have ringing in my ears and an awful pain in my neck and shoulder. I experience dizziness and mild nausea. I've tried the mouth pieces but they don't seem to help. For many years I saw an Asian doctor who gave me injections that helped tremendously. The injections were places in areas similar to the acupuncture points. The doctor passed away and now I can't find anyone to treat me. On the bad days I experience mild nausea, dizziness and mild mental confusion. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I actually believe that the TMJ is the biggest culprit. The problem seems to be getting worse. I never know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next. I think other people just think that I'm a hypochondriac.

I got shouldered in the jaw during a lacrosse game and have suffered from TMJ since then.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My TMJ was caused from an auto accident in which I sustained whiplash and thoracic strain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

My TMJ was causes by overextended opening of the jaw for insertion of a breathing tube during surgery.

Comment from: SLC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

My dentist referred me to a sleep specialist and he is certain I have sleep apnea which is causing the lower jaw to go back and open the airways but the teeth to clench. I am doing a sleep study to see if it will be of any help.

Comment from: Flower, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

The greatest relief and cure anyone can get from TMJ problems is with Bowen Therapy.

Comment from: wolfLady12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

The reason for my TMJ is a severe misalignment of the lower and upper teeth. The cause of my TMJ stems from a couple of blows to the jaw area and a fall where my face hit the sidewalk which caused broken teeth. TMJ is a very painful condition.

Comment from: SnowA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have severe osteoarthritis in both TMJs, although the right side (which was broken when I was young) is definitely worse. I had also had a tooth removed when I was a child and did not have my teeth aligned afterwards. My lower jaw is smaller than it should be (so the doctors say) which could also be a contributor. My TMJ is severe.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I never had any jaw pain until I had a tooth removed and the dentist sent my partial lower denture away to have a new tooth put on. Since then I have had chronic pain in the left side which stops me eating properly. When I cough, sneeze, yawn the pain is terrible. I had physio for 3 months. It helped a little (stopped jaw clicking) but didn't stop the pain. Exercises have not relieved the pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

For temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?