Testicular Pain Quick Overview
- Testicular pain is a discomfort felt in
the testicles or scrotum.
- Causes of testicular pain may be very
serious and require prompt medical evaluation, such as testicular torsion, which
is a surgical emergency.
- Symptoms of testicular pain may include
- testicle tenderness,
- swelling, and
- Some individuals may experience
- Causes of testicular pain are diagnosed
using imaging studies, urinalysis, and a detailed physical exam.
- The treatment of testicular pain
depends on the underlying cause, and may include pain medication, antibiotics or
- Certain causes of testicular pain can
be prevented. A testicular self-exam may help detect testicular cancer at an
- The prognosis for testicular pain
depends entirely on the underlying cause. Certain causes of testicular pain
carry an excellent prognosis, while others may lead to infertility, or even
Anatomy and Development of the Testicles
Men become very concerned and anxious when they feel pain in their testicles. To better understand the various causes of this symptom, an understanding of basic anatomy and the development of
- Before birth, the testicles are located in the abdomen (belly). Eventually, the testicles migrate down through the abdomen into the scrotum (the outside pouch that contains the testicles).
However, they remain connected to the abdomen by the spermatic cord, which contains
vital blood vessels, nerves, lymphatic vessels, and the vas deferens. The
spermatic cord also functions to suspend the testicles within the scrotum.
- On the upper, outer, back position of the testicle lies a connected but separate structure called the epididymis, which
serves to store and transport sperm. Normally, the epididymis has a direct
connection to the wall of the scrotum.
Picture of the Male Urinary and Reproductive Structures
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/11/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Testicular Pain
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Cancer of the Testicle
Testicular cancer is an abnormal growth of cells in the testicles. The testicles are the male reproductive organs (gonads), where sperm are produced.
The ...learn more >>
Inflammation of the Testicle (Orchitis)
Orchitis is inflammation of one or both testicles in men, usually caused by an infection. Examples of causes of orchitis include a viral infection such as mumps...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Testicular Pain: