Viewer Comments: Tetanus - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tetanus:

Tetanus - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with tetanus?

Comment from: Sondra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had my tetanus shot 5 days ago, and my arm and shoulder are swollen and sore. I just noticed the soreness is getting worse. I didn't expect this much pain or soreness!

Comment from: Regretful1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I received a tetanus shot last week. The first couple of days I was fine. After three days I began having neck and shoulder pain. It has gotten so bad I can hardly lift my arms. It feels as if the muscles in my neck and shoulders are tight and fatigued.

Comment from: ken p., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 29

After tetanus shot it would appear to have caused a strong cold sore on the inner lip which resists treatment.

Comment from: Dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I received a tetanus shot and after a week the pain on the right shoulder started. Gradually it became even worse and now I just can't use my shoulder, it hurts constantly.

Comment from: Sj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I got tetanus shot 20 days ago and next day my jaw was locked. My jaw is still locked, very hard to chew or eat. I wish I never had it.

Comment from: jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

In l955 as an immigrant to Canada I was given the polio/tetanus vaccine. Within one hour my arm was red and swollen at the site. By the time I got home my arm was paralyzed and I had a high fever which lasted a week. I went through this process once again but my parents would not permit the booster shot. So many years later I would be afraid to have a tetanus shot.

Comment from: jbfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Less than 24 hours after receiving a tetanus injection for having stepped on a rusty nail, I got a severe headache AND LOST MY VISION FOR THREE DAYS. Having never had a history of headaches or vision problems, it was quite scary. The doctor told me it was an allergic reaction to tetanus and to never get another tetanus injection.

Comment from: Anonymous, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I was working on a roof two days ago and was stuck by a rusty nail. Since then I have had watery bowel movements about seven or eight times per day. I am wondering if these are related.

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a four inch red and swollen area 72 hours after the shot and soreness.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a tetanus shot 10 days ago. At first it was a bit hot and sore for three days. Then it seemed to improve for a few days and then acted up again with raised red shapes below the site and very sore.

Comment from: JJ, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was recently treated for tetanus after getting ill from a spider bite. I became nauseated and then about a week later began to show symptoms of lock-jaw and a very stiff neck. I became dehydrated. I went to an urgent care clinic and was sent immediately to the hospital where they treated me with some type of anti-goblin shots and large doses of antibiotics. I was in the hospital for 17 days and then in rehab for a week. I am recuperating at home, but I have a long way to go before my strength will return. I no longer have lock-jaw, but my neck is still very stiff and I cannot turn it very far to the left or right.

Comment from: mathew, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

With tetanus, I experienced fever, muscle spasms, lock jaw and photophbia.

Must Read Articles Related to Tetanus

Checkup
Checkup Some people expect to have a yearly checkup, and ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations Cuts and lacerations are both terms that apply to a tear in the skin, though a learn more >>
Family Medical Records
Family Medical Records In the event of a medical emergency, it's important for doctors to have access to family medical records. These records should contain information about illness...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tetanus: