Viewer Comments: Tetanus - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tetanus:

Tetanus - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with tetanus?

Comment from: Sj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I got tetanus shot 20 days ago and next day my jaw was locked. My jaw is still locked, very hard to chew or eat. I wish I never had it.

Comment from: jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

In l955 as an immigrant to Canada I was given the polio/tetanus vaccine. Within one hour my arm was red and swollen at the site. By the time I got home my arm was paralyzed and I had a high fever which lasted a week. I went through this process once again but my parents would not permit the booster shot. So many years later I would be afraid to have a tetanus shot.

Comment from: jbfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Less than 24 hours after receiving a tetanus injection for having stepped on a rusty nail, I got a severe headache AND LOST MY VISION FOR THREE DAYS. Having never had a history of headaches or vision problems, it was quite scary. The doctor told me it was an allergic reaction to tetanus and to never get another tetanus injection.

Comment from: Anonymous, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I was working on a roof two days ago and was stuck by a rusty nail. Since then I have had watery bowel movements about seven or eight times per day. I am wondering if these are related.

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a four inch red and swollen area 72 hours after the shot and soreness.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a tetanus shot 10 days ago. At first it was a bit hot and sore for three days. Then it seemed to improve for a few days and then acted up again with raised red shapes below the site and very sore.

Comment from: JJ, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was recently treated for tetanus after getting ill from a spider bite. I became nauseated and then about a week later began to show symptoms of lock-jaw and a very stiff neck. I became dehydrated. I went to an urgent care clinic and was sent immediately to the hospital where they treated me with some type of anti-goblin shots and large doses of antibiotics. I was in the hospital for 17 days and then in rehab for a week. I am recuperating at home, but I have a long way to go before my strength will return. I no longer have lock-jaw, but my neck is still very stiff and I cannot turn it very far to the left or right.

Comment from: mathew, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

With tetanus, I experienced fever, muscle spasms, lock jaw and photophbia.

Oddly enough, I had basically no symptoms until 5 days after my tetanus shot -- although, it was sore. Then, the area around the injection site got all hard, red and itchy.

Published: April 01

I'm not sure if this is coincidence, or if this was caused by the tetanus vaccine. My arm still hurts (6 weeks after the tetanus shot), deep within the muscle, or bone area of my arm. It hurts to put on a coat or sweater or reach in certain ways.

Published: April 01

I broke out like I had the measles and itched like I had poison ivy.

Must Read Articles Related to Tetanus

Checkup Some people expect to have a yearly checkup, and ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations Cuts and lacerations are both terms that apply to a tear in the skin, though a laceration implies a more jagged tear. These terms do not include abrasions where...learn more >>
Family Medical Records
Family Medical Records In the event of a medical emergency, it's important for doctors to have access to family medical records. These records should contain information about illness...learn more >>