Viewer Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count):

Thrombocytopenia - Cause

What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?

Comment from: netickbite, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In June of 2011 I started to feel muscle pain, fever, nausea, weakness, fatigue. Over the course of six days the symptoms progressed to the point where I had severe night sweats and chills during the day, and was so fatigued and nauseated I didn't eat for days and could only lay on the couch or in bed. After six days I went to a doctor. He sent me to the emergency room for tests. My fever was 103, I'd lost seven pounds. I was anemic and my platelets, white blood cells were extremely low. My platelet count was 18,000. Tests for flu, Lyme (I live in New England) and blood disorders were negative. After some time and four days in the hospital with IV antibiotics and various other medications, there was a consensus among the doctors that I was suffering from one or more of several tick borne infections: erlichiosis, anaplasmosis or babesios. It took months to regain my strength. The pain in my joints, so severe it kept me awake at night, has subsided but I still have no sensation in my toes and fingers due to low B12. I'm also anemic. I take supplements for these conditions and will see a blood dr. again next month for a re-check.

Must Read Articles Related to Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>
HIV/AIDS
HIV/AIDS HIV has killed about 25 million individuals, and approximately 40 million people are currently living with the disease. Symptoms and signs of HIV include fever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count):

Thrombocytopenia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Thrombocytopenia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your thrombocytopenia?