Viewer Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Cancer:

Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: penny, 45-54 Female Published: July 30

My symptoms of thyroid cancer were hoarseness and I lost my voice altogether, eventually. I lost weight; I had headaches and my neck and joints were hurting. This is really scary.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

When I was 28 yrs old, I started losing weight very fast and developed a huge appetite. I could not stop eating, yet kept losing weight. At first, none of my doctors took me seriously because I was young and looked healthy. However, I had a history of childhood cancer so I was concerned. Finally, I went to a routine health screening at work to check my skin for signs of skin cancer and the doctor noticed that I had a very large lump in my thyroid. Within a month, the lump had turned into multiple tumors and the doctor decided to remove my thyroid to be on the safe side. He thought it was unlikely that it was malignant because there were multiple cystic tumors. As it turned out, it was an aggressive form of thyroid cancer but had not yet spread outside of the thyroid. Surgery was followed by radioactive iodine and followed up regularly by body scans and ultrasound. So far, I have been in remission and symptom-free for over 10 years.

Comment from: cornynut, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was hyperthyroid for 5 years (at least that was when I was diagnosed). I was "non-symptomatic," except for nodule. The nodule grew during that 5 years, and then another one developed. After having profound hyperthyroid symptoms and the nodule started to affect my voice, I had a total thyroidectomy. The first frozen section indicated no cancer, but the second showed papillary carcinoma in the tissue on the edge of my thyroid.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I developed a cough. I coughed for months and it got to the point where I could barely speak a sentence without being interrupted by coughing. A reason for the coughing was not easily discovered, but when cancer was revealed I had surgery to remove my thyroid gland. The cancer returned and spread twice, after that, to my lymph nodes, for a total of three operations within two years. I am now in remission and checked every three months.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Cancer

Thyroid Facts
Thyroid FAQs The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine (hormone) system. The thyroid gland produces two hormones, thyroxine (T4) and tri-iodothyronine (T3). Diseases of the...learn more >>
Thyroid Medications
Thyroid Medications Thyroid medications treat diseases of the thyroid, including hyperthyroidism (such as Graves' disease), hypothyroidism, thyroid disorders in pregnancy, post-par...learn more >>
Thyroid Nodules
Thyroid Nodules Thyroid nodules are lumps that are either solid or fluid-filled. Thyroid nodules may be benign or malignant (cancerous). Thyroid nodules may be caused by goiter...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Cancer:

Thyroid Cancer - Treatment

What were the symptoms of your thyroid cancer?

Thyroid Cancer - Tests and Diagnosis

How was your thyroid cancer diagnosed?