Viewer Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules:

Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Cherie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I began having trouble with intolerance to cold and heat, but mostly cold. I would also wake up with near extreme night sweats to where I would have to change my gown. I had trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep; low energy, an all over weak feeling as if I had low blood pressure, dizziness, and memory problems. I would also get these weird tingly sensations down my arms and legs and part of my body. I had hand tremors that varied from light to ridiculous. My hair, when in health, was fine and thick. By the time I finally got medical attention, my hair was course and thinning fast. I also had a lump or swelling in my neck. Often, in the area of my thyroid there was pain to the touch (on a scale 1 to 10, usually 1 to 4). I had trouble getting my doctor to do anything about it. When I found out that I could go to a specialist without his referral, I went on my own (much to his chagrin afterwards). My TSH was low, and I took the medicine for 3 months. Upon my follow-up, my ENT specialist took me off it because it raised my levels too high from the lowest dose he had prescribed. All this happened in September 2012 to April 2013. Oh, by the way, the ultrasound revealed nodules in my thyroid, biopsies were benign. The specialist said he would just watch it. After all this, the night sweats, temperature intolerance, memory stuff all but went away or stopped. Then fall of 2015, night sweats began again, I finally just butchered my hair because it looked so ragged. The swelling never did go away, nor did the on and off again soreness, but my TSH levels were always normal. And the temperature intolerance began, so I went to my new doctor. I just had another ultrasound, lots of nodules this time, TSH levels still normal, so now it's off to the biopsies again.

Comment from: LMA1986, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

For the past year, I have been trying to lose weight like crazy. I reduced the amount of bad foods and started bringing in healthier foods, such as eating egg whites and whole wheat toast for breakfast, broccoli for lunch, etc. I noticed that my weight was slowing going up. Over the past year, I have gained around 30 lb. and I am actually eating healthier and exercising more now than ever. I have noticed pain, especially on the right side of my neck, and there is also a bump there. I decided to mention this to my doctor and she had me get blood work done to check my thyroid, and an ultrasound. My doctor said that the blood work came back normal with my thyroid, but the ultrasound showed that I have multiple nodules on my thyroid and a possible cyst on the one side. I found this out back in October and was referred to an endocrinologist. My appointment isn't until December 10, so I have to sit and wonder exactly what it is. I was told that they would do a biopsy and possibly MRI to see how serious it is and then they will decide what to do from there. With my symptoms, I have experienced weight gain, feeling more tired than usual, memory problems, and period issues (being light or not on time).

Comment from: Rational Thyroid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went in to see the Ob/Gyn for my regular physical, and the doctor found a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid (I hadn't noticed it, myself). Ultrasound confirmed a 2.5 cm nodule. I have now been referred out to an endocrinologist, so I am waiting until my appointment to find out if it's benign or malignant or caused by Hashimoto's. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism (a 15 pound weight gain I cannot shake, very low energy, some memory problems, etc.), but the symptoms are so non-specific and/or have come on so gradually that I cannot say for certain they are caused by hypothyroidism. I think I have always been a little low energy, and I have certainly always been intolerant of cold. I lost quite a lot of hair, but that was several years ago, not recently (I thought it was normal for your hair to thin as you aged). I have noticed my skin is much drier than it used to be--but I noticed it more during the winter, and so the dryness could have been caused by indoor heating and outdoor wind (or, once again, it could just be aging). I am nervous and scared, but I am trying to remain rational.

Comment from: Lila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

In 2006, I had a lot of pain in my muscles, joints and long and heavy periods, acne, weight gain, etc. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and insulin resistance. I am on .025 Synthroid and 500 mg Metformin. I have been OK until last May 2008 when they discovered two swollen nodules on my thyroid. They are going to perform a needle biopsy. I have a hard time swallowing and even touching my throat. My hormone levels are normal, but my autoimmune antibodies are high. I am in tons of pain in my joints and muscles. I sleep all day long and night, my face is breaking out, and my periods are heavy again. My specialist said that it can't be from Hashimoto's, but my family doctor said it is. I feel like I am going crazy, but the signs are all there that it is Hashimoto's. I am just waiting on my biopsy to see what the next step is.

Comment from: whats real at 46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Looked in the mirror and noticed a lump under my "Adam's apple" (but I'm a woman). Ultrasound indicated several nodules and cysts in both lobes and the isthmus. Awaiting official results of fine needle aspiration biopsy; although radiologist and pathologist think they are benign. TSH over the years has always been slightly under the "normal" range. But the T-3 and T-4 have been slightly above the normal range. There was no concern from doctors over the years regarding the blood tests. No other obvious symptoms. No rapid weight gain or loss. Hair loss, but its not thinning. Skin is not dry, but no longer oily either. Hard to tell if heart beat occasionally is rapid or if I'm imaging it. Tired, but who isn't these days.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Nodules

Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>
Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid Cancer Find out more about thyroid cancer's sympt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules:

Thyroid Nodules - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?

Thyroid Nodule - Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid nodule.

Thyroid Nodules - Causes

What caused your thyroid nodules?