Viewer Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules:

Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Rational Thyroid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went in to see the Ob/Gyn for my regular physical, and the doctor found a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid (I hadn't noticed it, myself). Ultrasound confirmed a 2.5 cm nodule. I have now been referred out to an endocrinologist, so I am waiting until my appointment to find out if it's benign or malignant or caused by Hashimoto's. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism (a 15 pound weight gain I cannot shake, very low energy, some memory problems, etc.), but the symptoms are so non-specific and/or have come on so gradually that I cannot say for certain they are caused by hypothyroidism. I think I have always been a little low energy, and I have certainly always been intolerant of cold. I lost quite a lot of hair, but that was several years ago, not recently (I thought it was normal for your hair to thin as you aged). I have noticed my skin is much drier than it used to be--but I noticed it more during the winter, and so the dryness could have been caused by indoor heating and outdoor wind (or, once again, it could just be aging). I am nervous and scared, but I am trying to remain rational.

Comment from: Lila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

In 2006, I had a lot of pain in my muscles, joints and long and heavy periods, acne, weight gain, etc. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and insulin resistance. I am on .025 Synthroid and 500 mg Metformin. I have been OK until last May 2008 when they discovered two swollen nodules on my thyroid. They are going to perform a needle biopsy. I have a hard time swallowing and even touching my throat. My hormone levels are normal, but my autoimmune antibodies are high. I am in tons of pain in my joints and muscles. I sleep all day long and night, my face is breaking out, and my periods are heavy again. My specialist said that it can't be from Hashimoto's, but my family doctor said it is. I feel like I am going crazy, but the signs are all there that it is Hashimoto's. I am just waiting on my biopsy to see what the next step is.

Comment from: whats real at 46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Looked in the mirror and noticed a lump under my "Adam's apple" (but I'm a woman). Ultrasound indicated several nodules and cysts in both lobes and the isthmus. Awaiting official results of fine needle aspiration biopsy; although radiologist and pathologist think they are benign. TSH over the years has always been slightly under the "normal" range. But the T-3 and T-4 have been slightly above the normal range. There was no concern from doctors over the years regarding the blood tests. No other obvious symptoms. No rapid weight gain or loss. Hair loss, but its not thinning. Skin is not dry, but no longer oily either. Hard to tell if heart beat occasionally is rapid or if I'm imaging it. Tired, but who isn't these days.

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm 58 and enjoy my life. My doctor found a 3cm nodule on my right thyroid. I have been tired and not very sociable, and I've had problems swallowing. I went to the endocrinologist and he wants to do iodine radiation. I have been told that I can't be around anyone or small pets for four days after the treatment.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I experienced pain in my neck and sometimes a sore throat if I raised my voice too loud. I'm supposed to be going in to get an ultrasound and I am so afraid.

Comment from: Janetm127, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am a 56yr old female who has been dealing with a thyroid problem for over 10 years. I am on a thyroid replacement hormone. Recently, I woke up with pain on the right side of my neck. I thought it was from how I slept but the pain persisted for over a week. I called my doctor for an appointment because I noticed a lump developing. By the time I had my appointment the lump had gone down but as a precaution he sent me for a CT scan which showed I have enlarged lymph nodes and he is sending me to a specialist. I am scared due to the fact that cancer has already taken four of my siblings and one had her larynx removed and now speaks thru a tube. I pray that this is not serious.

Comment from: Scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I'm 38. I went to see my gynecologist and he asked me how long my throat been swollen. I didn't know it was swollen. He sets up and ultrasound. The doctor calls me with the results saying my thyroid is very enlarged and I have nodules on the right side so he is referring me to an endocrinologist. I'm scared but waiting for my appointment to see the endocrinologist.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Nodules

Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>
Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid Cancer Find out more about thyroid cancer's symptoms, signs, diagnosis, treatment, and risk factors. The main types of thyroid cancer include papillary thyroid cancer,...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules:

Thyroid Nodules - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?

Thyroid Nodule - Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid nodule.

Thyroid Nodules - Causes

What caused your thyroid nodules?