Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?

...
Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had my thyroid removed due to 3 cancerous nodules. I am on levothyroxine. I can't get my doctor to even test my T3, so I'm learning all I can.

Comment from: Shonnie14, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am told my thyroid is large and have to have a X-ray. I'am 42 and have 4 kids ranging from 23 to 11. I sweat often especially at night my weight has been 225 for the last 4 yrs. I'am tired all the time get headaches the same time everyday.

Comment from: Lindamcb58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I gained weight for no reason, and I was always so sleepy that I had trouble doing everyday chores.

Comment from: ss Hashimoto, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have Hashimoto's disease. Yesterday my doctor thought the right side of my thyroid was large and the left side very small. He sent me for a sonogram, which confirmed the situation.

Comment from: Jakethesnake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have a hefty cough, large swollen ankles and am very tired.

Comment from: feeling good, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been on Levothyroxine sodium for the past 12 years. I have gained over 50 pounds. I just did not feel like doing anything. I finally tried a diet that has worked for me. The diet I am on is called Wellness Weighs. I have lost 35 pounds and feel great. I have 15 pounds to go. I have tried many different diets to no avail. This one worked for me because I was ready to face the fact that I put the weight on. I am now ready to take that weight off. I know having a thyroid problem has made things more difficult for me. I found a diet that does work when it is used correctly.

Comment from: Mari, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 21

A few years ago I started feeling more tired than I normally felt. That is when my Dr. did a test and she said I needed to start taking Synthroid. The next test showed I needed a little more. I was having trouble swallowing and I was sweat profusely with small amounts of activity. I continued to be tired and needed naps.

Comment from: Chavez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am 19 and had have my thyroid problem since I was 9 years old, my parents tried to get me the care I needed they had to drive four hours in order for me to see a specialist. At the age of 14 I stopped the medication we were no longer able to afford the meds and the long drive. My thyroid was fine up until I turned 19 after I gave birth to my son. I am always exhausted, sad and terribly cold.

Comment from: MAvis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

My symptoms of thyroid disease were difficulties swallowing; some soreness on the left of the neck; very hot when other people are feeling cold; depression/anxiety occasionally; headaches; tremor of the hands on some occasions; have put on weight even though not eating any more or any differently; a feeling of bloating of the stomach and swelling in the stomach.

Comment from: BB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

My signs and symptoms of thyroid disease were fatigue, tremors, palpitations, weight loss or gain, and diarrhea.

Comment from: the woo, 55-64 Female Published: April 30

When I was about 40/41 I started to notice that I was tired a lot and had to have a doze in my car during my lunch hour and when I took my young daughter to ballet I would go back to my car and fall asleep. I'd had my first child at 36 and put it down to being an older mum but then I noticed a lot of hair in the bath tub when washing my hair and decided to see my doctor. After a blood test I was diagnosed as having an under-active thyroid and put on thyroxine.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.