Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?

Published: April 16

I am a 52-year-old female. My thyroid is painful to the touch and has been for a long time. My doctor can't seem to figure out why this is. All he does is just keep me on medicine and will occasionally adjust it. I am also very tired all the time and have been for a long time. Recently I had a cyst removed from my pituitary gland. The doctors had hoped that the surgery would help with my excessive sweating and low energy level but to no avail.

Comment from: concerned guy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 10

A blood test determined that my thyroid is inactive. I began taking Levothyroxine, but I have lost my sense of smell and taste.

Comment from: k, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I found out last year that I have thyroid disease. I went to the doctor, who did a blood test and found that my thyroid is overactive. I don't know what that means, but I am now on medication.

Comment from: cece, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have dry mouth, fatigue, body aches, heart flutters, high anxiety and weight gain for no apparent reason. I'm not a heavy eater at all. I also have dry skin and hair loss. My father had an overactive thyroid in 1996.

Comment from: Wanda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

I encountered symptoms seven months after the birth of my first child. With my mood, energy levels dropping, weight increasing, and sleep pattern disrupted I continued to take an antidepressant. It took me four years to get pregnant with my second child. After this pregnancy I hit rock bottom. I had fibromyalgia symptoms and could not function daily. Some more testing revealed that I had an ANA antibody level of 1/100. At which time my doctor sent me to a rheumatologist to find that it wasn't other autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, but Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The new medication made me feel alive again. Energy increased, sleep pattern was better and best of all no more aches and pains. I have had it for 24 years and struggle daily as once you have the antibodies you continue to have symptoms.

Comment from: Gmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I was sleeping day and night with no energy to do anything. My fingers always felt like they were numb and I was also on medical diet. I did everything I was told to do and I even tried to make myself workout three days a week at YMCA and couldn't lose any weight. I didn't know I had a problem until I had my yearly checkup. I told the doctor was I feeling badly. He tested me and got my answer to my problem. I never thought it would be my thyroid. Please talk to your doctor, have yearly checkups it may save you a lot of wasted time. I wish I would have spoken up sooner.

Comment from: judith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had gained a lot of weight and was seeing a dietician. I had lost 25lbs with diet and exercise and just stopped losing. I started having problems sleeping, and my heart would beat really fast. I felt like I was going crazy. It went on for months. I had no energy. I kept going to my doctor, and finally I remembered the dietician talking about my thyroid. Although you could not see a lump in my neck I asked the doctor to check my thyroid, he could not feel anything, and my thyroid levels were normal. I think he did an ultrasound to make me happy, and it turns out I had a tumor on my thyroid that was malignant and I had a follicular cancer. The tumor had ruptured and was pressing on my windpipe, which explained my inability to sleep. I had a total thyroidectomy and continue to take thyroid medications.

Comment from: mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 45 years old and I have been diagnosed with overactive thyroid. I sweat all the time and I don't sleep very well and I find it very hard to swallow. I am always out of breath all the time, even though I do a lot of walking as part of my job. Sometimes I feel high the next day and now I'm feeling down in the dumps. I have put on some weight and I ache a lot.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.