Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?

...
Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had a chronic cough for 4 years, audible stridor at night, and hoarseness. All my thyroid lab tests are normal. I did have a parathyroid tumor that was removed approximately 4 1/2 years ago for primary hyperparathyroidism and this is now corrected. I have had a thyroid nodule that went from 0.7 cm to 1.5 cm in less than a year. I know there is something wrong as I just do not feel well. My endocrinologist says his threshold is 1.5 for biopsy. How do I convince someone to do a FNA (fine needle aspiration) based on my symptoms!

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I was diagnosed in 2006. I have been taking levothyroxine and according to my blood test seem to be on the right dosage. However I am now experiencing bad muscle and joint pains and it is getting worse and is making me have struggles going to the gym because I am too stiff and achy. Also I have been continuing to gain weight. I am very frustrated and don't know what else I can do. I have talked with my endocrinologist and she isn't much help other than telling me I need to lose weight and get on a 500 calorie a day diet. Really! I would have no energy at all with that calorie intake.

Comment from: livingonborrowdtime., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Wow! I agree with the keep the prayers going. Keep up with the good nutrition and sleep the best we can. I too was treated for graves disease. It has been a long battle with the medication levels and blood work. I just live my day as if it's not apart of me. I do what I have to do every day, even when It feel tiresome. I can't change it. So why try. The oblation so far has given me many extra years, I believe. The more I argue with my body, the worse I feel. So I don't argue with it and learn to cope and live with it. I'm alive and feeding myself spiritually which helps me get through some of the tougher times. I do believe it effects others in the emotional sense as well. That is why I believe it is very important to lift each other up in positive ways, daily. We will be ok. We are survivors. I have health stuff all the time. I go to my doctor and I do what he says, take my meds the way I am told, get my test when I am told, and don't leave any bits of info out when I talk to my doctor. Sometimes its just apart of who we are and apart of how we were made. We can't argue with Gods handiwork. God made us exactly the way we are for a purpose. So when I argue with the way God made me, I am arguing with his handiwork and saying I know what's best I surely don't. Gods Blessings to everyone and many prayers are going out to those who are like me.

Comment from: mounds, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Well i just got back from the doctors today and I've already been diagnosed with hypothyroid about 6 years ago after my second child. It was a relief at that time to have the pill that made me feel alive again! as time went on i switched doctors and have had my dose increase from 25mg to 125mg a day with an extra 25mg on opposite days. Today it's been increased again to 150mg a day of synthyroid. I've gained another 20lbs and i work out at least 3x a week and eat healthy and do yoga. It's frustrating to struggle with my own body and keep my mind in the right place as well to cope with the struggle. I'm also now taking a stomach acid reducer and that helps with the bloating. Good luck to those out there trying to balance your glands, it's a long road!

Comment from: Todd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I've had thyroid disease for about 6 or 7 years now. The once time per day pill works fine for me. I really feel like crap the next day if I don't remember to take my pill, which doesn't happen very often. I am overweight (about 235 lbs) and have trouble losing weight. I have been able to manage it and loose a little when I don't overdo it with exercise or dieting. If I exercise heavily, I become constantly hungry, so that doesn't work for me. Taking a good walk works on reducing appetite and losing weight. I also have trouble sleeping again if woken up at night or during the day. The meds will do that do you.

Comment from: JW, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 6 months ago. At the time, I was seeking treatment for heart palpitations and extreme fatigue, but after the diagnosis so many things made sense. Family members commented that I always seemed to be tired, but since I have always been busy and overweight I chalked it up to that. I've never been able to grow out my fingernails, because they were too thin and brittle. I had noticed what seemed like a lot of hair in my brushes and in the drain. And my periods have always been irregular and heavy. I had accepted so many things as just "how I am," and now I'm finding that they may have been symptoms! We're still trying to find the right dosage, but even at 25mcg I noticed that the floor of my energy level had gone up a little. I was still tired a lot, but it felt more manageable and responded better to getting more sleep. My nails are growing for the first time in my life, and my hair isn't falling out quite so much. Plus, most importantly, I haven't had any palpitations since I started the medication. I know I've had it relatively easy in terms of symptoms, but I'm really happy to have found a way to "fix" some of the things I thought were unfixable.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's thyroiditis (also referred to as chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the thyroid gland and th...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?