Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have just been diagnosed with thyroid problems. I am 39 years old, married, with two children ages 10 and 11 years old. I was suffering with very severe hot flashes and dizziness and I could hear my heart beating very fast. I thought I might be going through an early menopause, so I was surprised to learn that the problem was my thyroid. I have been given tablets to reduce my heart beat, and have follow-up appointments in 10 days. I will also have to see a specialist at the hospital to discuss further treatment. At the moment, I don't feel very well and I'm having a hard time doing my job.

Comment from: dmpipher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I used to take Synthroid for my thyroid disease, but when I lost my medical insurance years ago, I stopped taking it. I also take high blood pressure medicine and a diuretic. My mother has Graves disease. I have recently been having tremors and muscle weakness. I also noticed that I have lost a little weight.

Comment from: HandyDan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with Graves 17 months ago. It had progressed so badly it affected my heart. I was in ICC for 3 days with atrial fibrillation for 14 hours, scared to death that my ticket was punched. Looking back I had Graves for several years, sweating, intolerant to heat, trouble with concentration and sleeping, irritable, sore joints (I wrote this off to hard work and hard play), palpations, and finally weight loss and then the A. fib. and hospital. My specialist diagnosed it right off. I've been on methimazole, 60mg for awhile then tapered down to 5mg 2X daily. I've got good days and some not so good. The feeling of depression and anger at times is almost too much. I don't know if the sleep loss is due to depression (functional) or the Graves affecting another body system, but thank God for modern pharmacology. Sleep is just a med bottle cap twist away. I hope this goes into remission soon.

Related Reading: methimazole

Comment from: lauraw89, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have been struggling with thyroid issues for years, at least since my teens. I am 52 now and had my thyroid removed last year. I am in terrible pain. I can't think straight. I am struggling to raise two grandchildren. I take 400 mcg of Synthroid. It isn't helping.

Comment from: phs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was diagnosed with Graves disease and had 2 treatment of radioactive iodine. I now have hypothyroidism, and have been on Levoxyl for many years with no problems. They pulled Levoxyl off the market and I was put on Synthroid. My side affects are terrible and my test results weren't good so they raised my dose from 88mcg to 100mcg.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 22

With my thyroid disease, I get cold and I can't get warm at times. Then I'm hot when it's cold outside and I don't want to wear a coat. I get a small ache in my upper throat sometimes, and I often have no energy and I want to sleep a lot.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been diagnosed with thyroid problems for years now and I also have Addison's disease. Lately I have noticed my memory has become very poor; I have aching joints, and my eyesight appears to have deteriorated. I presently take an anti depressant for sleep which doesn't work.

Comment from: DAB213, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

An Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeon just recently removed my right Thyroid, along with the Isthmus, and a large tumor on the right side of my right Thyroid. He left 3 benign tumors and many nodules. The large tumor removed was also benign. I didn't even realize I had a problem, and thought my gruff voice change was due to the aftermath of a bad cold (I waited 5 months) until my regular MD noticed the swelling on both sides of my neck. My surgery went fine, but I now have no energy. I was like that before, but more so after the surgery. I'm not on any medication yet. I go back to my surgeon on Jan 20, 2010 for a follow up and I guess he will determine what to give me then.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?