Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 22

With my thyroid disease, I get cold and I can't get warm at times. Then I'm hot when it's cold outside and I don't want to wear a coat. I get a small ache in my upper throat sometimes, and I often have no energy and I want to sleep a lot.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been diagnosed with thyroid problems for years now and I also have Addison's disease. Lately I have noticed my memory has become very poor; I have aching joints, and my eyesight appears to have deteriorated. I presently take an anti depressant for sleep which doesn't work.

Comment from: DAB213, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

An Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeon just recently removed my right Thyroid, along with the Isthmus, and a large tumor on the right side of my right Thyroid. He left 3 benign tumors and many nodules. The large tumor removed was also benign. I didn't even realize I had a problem, and thought my gruff voice change was due to the aftermath of a bad cold (I waited 5 months) until my regular MD noticed the swelling on both sides of my neck. My surgery went fine, but I now have no energy. I was like that before, but more so after the surgery. I'm not on any medication yet. I go back to my surgeon on Jan 20, 2010 for a follow up and I guess he will determine what to give me then.

Comment from: danish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

In 2007 I was diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid with nodules. I had an ultra sound and an uptake scan done. They had an endocrinologist that would not see me unless my levels were abnormal or I was having difficulty breathing. I went two years now with nothing being done with this. Then one day, I said the words “Hashimoto's disease” and the man decided to send me to a new endocrinologist. And they have sent me up with lab work and a fine needle biopsy. Soon I will have the relief I need.

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My hyperthyroidism has been treated with a radio-active pill, but it has been 4 months and my blood work has not changed much at all. I am not experiencing electrical impulse feelings in my abdomen area and up to my belly button. It is the weirdest feeling and they come and go.

Comment from: bannana boat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I felt like I had the flu most of the time. My body ached all over. I always felt cold, I would feel dizzy, and have fainting spells. Plus I gained about thirty pounds. I could hardly drive anymore because I felt like I was going to faint, when I was behind the wheel. My hair was getting thin too. I've never had to wear glasses but now I have to. I was also always fatigued. Plus I would have heart palpitations. I suffered for about a year and a half and finally went to see my doctor. She sent me to get an ultrasound, and the doctor asked if I had always been on the thin side, I said yes. She said it probably burnt up because it used to be overactive. My doctor gave me medications for the condition, but I still feel cold a lot and usually fall asleep while watching movies. On the plus side, I've lost about 36 pounds.

Comment from: dif, 45-54 Female Published: November 30

It's amazing how often this disease goes undiagnosed until it has caused permanent damage to someone. Why hasn't the medical establishment changed the way they diagnose this disease?

Comment from: gee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I noticed that for the past couple of months, I haven't been feeling so well. I have panic attacks, which are coming more often and now they are accompanied by dizziness. One day, I am full of energy and the next day, I'm so tired, I can't even get out of bed. I am on thyroid medications, but I just haven't been feeling right. Something seems out of place.

Comment from: louait101176, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Hi... After several years of tiredness weight gain etc I decided not to go back to my doctor. Then one day my colleague noticed that my right hand had swollen and was going a black/blue color. I've had this on and off for about 2-3 years and put it down to poor circulation since I was always cold. I saw a neurologist at the local hospital and I am now currently waiting to go next week for a fine needle aspiration on a cyst found on my thyroid. Over the past few years there has been no problems with my blood apparently it's been clear. I thank my colleague as health problems have plagued me for almost 3 years and if it's thyroid cancer they say ill get it fixed and hopefully be back to normal somehow.

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's thyroiditis (also referred to as chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the thyroid gland and th...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?