Viewer Comments: Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

Comment from: danish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

In 2007 I was diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid with nodules. I had an ultra sound and an uptake scan done. They had an endocrinologist that would not see me unless my levels were abnormal or I was having difficulty breathing. I went two years now with nothing being done with this. Then one day, I said the words “Hashimoto's disease” and the man decided to send me to a new endocrinologist. And they have sent me up with lab work and a fine needle biopsy. Soon I will have the relief I need.

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My hyperthyroidism has been treated with a radio-active pill, but it has been 4 months and my blood work has not changed much at all. I am not experiencing electrical impulse feelings in my abdomen area and up to my belly button. It is the weirdest feeling and they come and go.

Comment from: bannana boat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I felt like I had the flu most of the time. My body ached all over. I always felt cold, I would feel dizzy, and have fainting spells. Plus I gained about thirty pounds. I could hardly drive anymore because I felt like I was going to faint, when I was behind the wheel. My hair was getting thin too. I've never had to wear glasses but now I have to. I was also always fatigued. Plus I would have heart palpitations. I suffered for about a year and a half and finally went to see my doctor. She sent me to get an ultrasound, and the doctor asked if I had always been on the thin side, I said yes. She said it probably burnt up because it used to be overactive. My doctor gave me medications for the condition, but I still feel cold a lot and usually fall asleep while watching movies. On the plus side, I've lost about 36 pounds.

Comment from: dif, 45-54 Female Published: November 30

It's amazing how often this disease goes undiagnosed until it has caused permanent damage to someone. Why hasn't the medical establishment changed the way they diagnose this disease?

Comment from: gee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I noticed that for the past couple of months, I haven't been feeling so well. I have panic attacks, which are coming more often and now they are accompanied by dizziness. One day, I am full of energy and the next day, I'm so tired, I can't even get out of bed. I am on thyroid medications, but I just haven't been feeling right. Something seems out of place.

Comment from: louait101176, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Hi... After several years of tiredness weight gain etc I decided not to go back to my doctor. Then one day my colleague noticed that my right hand had swollen and was going a black/blue color. I've had this on and off for about 2-3 years and put it down to poor circulation since I was always cold. I saw a neurologist at the local hospital and I am now currently waiting to go next week for a fine needle aspiration on a cyst found on my thyroid. Over the past few years there has been no problems with my blood apparently it's been clear. I thank my colleague as health problems have plagued me for almost 3 years and if it's thyroid cancer they say ill get it fixed and hopefully be back to normal somehow.

Comment from: Illinois, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I just read all the comments from everyone and I'm sad to hear that no one out there has made any positive comments. I had Thyroid cancer removed on May 08 which as we all know it's a difficult road to go thru, but I'm encourage to know that I feel wonderful and that I haven't gained any weight I mostly do watch what I eat I just want to know if there is someone out there who has had their thyroid removed and is currently taking med and feels good I believe that we can take this disease and not let it control us, but us control it by doing all the things that we should to stay healthy. Everyone, please know that we can overcome this and we will. Please keep a positive attitude so that we can deal with this situation. By the way I am currently on the low iodine diet. My husband tells me just to think positive and stay encouraged. I want all you people to feel the same way, too. May the lord bless you all and know that he knows our bodies and we are not alone. Thank You!

Comment from: cvttejim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am presently 69 years old. In my teens, I had radiation therapy for severe facial acne. I had this done monthly for about two years. About 20 years ago, doctors commented on my enlarging thyroid. About 10 years ago, a specialist recommended removal of my thyroid as recent information indicated persons that received excessive radiation for acne treatment were more than 50% likely to develop thyroid cancer as they got older. I had surgery in 1999 abd I currently take l-thyroxine, 200mcg/day. No known problems now!

Must Read Articles Related to Thyroid Problems

Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, thyroid a...learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems:

Thyroid Problems - Treatment

What was the treatment for your thyroid problems?

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of your thyroid disease?