Viewer Comments: Ticks - Preventive

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ticks:

Ticks - Preventive

How do you prevent ticks from getting on your dog?

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female Published: February 04

I use Vectra 3D, a topical application, once a month, all year. My house is on eight acres of woods in tick-infested southwestern Wisconsin. I also treat my dog's fenced-in backyard with Tick Tubes and have cleared brush from the three feet around the fence perimeter. We find that mice have taken the cotton balls treated with insecticide and incorporated them into nests under the leaf litter. In case the dog brings in a non-attached tick, we also treat our indoor cat with Advantage topically.

To prevent ticks from getting on our dog, we use a good quality flea and tick collar.

I actually test and vaccinate my pets for Lyme disease every year (I live in NY). I do have one dog that is allergic to the vaccine so I use Advantix (the once a month application) on him and check him for ticks every day. Unfortunately, he has gotten Lyme disease once already so the threat is very real.

Must Read Articles Related to Ticks

Encephalitis
Encephalitis Encephalitis is an acute infection and inflammation of the brain itself. This is in contrast to meningitis, which is an inflammation of the layers covering the ...learn more >>
Insect Bites
Insect Bites Stings and bites from insects are common. They often result in redness and swelling in the injured area. Sometimes a sting can cause a life-threatening allergic...learn more >>
Lyme Disease
Lyme Disease Lyme disease, sometimes referred to as Lyme infection, is a bacterial illness, transmitted to humans by the bite of deer ticks (Ixodes ticks) carrying a bacteri...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ticks:

Ticks - Experience

What was your experience with ticks?