Tinnitus Medical Treatment
Treatment for tinnitus depends on the underlying cause of the problem.
- In the majority of cases, tinnitus is caused by damage to the hearing organ. In these cases, there is normally no need for treatment other than reassurance that the tinnitus is not being caused by another treatable illness.
- In the very rare instance where the tinnitus is extremely bothersome, there are a number of treatment options.
- Some of the most helpful include antianxiety or antidepressant medication and sometimes maskers-small devices like hearing aids that help to block out the sound of the tinnitus with "white noise."
- For people who are bothered by tinnitus only when trying to sleep, the sound of a fan, radio, or white noise machine is usually all that is required to relieve the problem.
- Most people with tinnitus find that their symptoms are worse when under stress, so relaxation techniques can be helpful.
- Avoiding caffeine is advised, as it may worsen symptoms.
- Biofeedback may help or diminish tinnitus in some patients.
- Avoid aspirin or aspirin products in large quantities
- Hearing loss worsens the effect of tinnitus, so protection of hearing and avoiding loud noises is very important in preventing worsening of the symptoms.
- In cases where the tinnitus is caused by one of the other rare problems (such as a tumor or aneurysm), treatment of the tinnitus involves fixing the main issue. Although this does not always resolve the tinnitus, some people note relief of their symptoms. Only a very few cases of tinnitus are caused by identifiable, repairable medical conditions.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/12/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus
Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus: